Western Red Cedar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have searched the site, unsuccessfully, to find information on suppliers of WRC. I always use a mill at USK but fear they may be in lockdown due to Covid.
Can anyone suggest a supplier nearer to Buckinghamshire. I have potentially a large order for hives to fulfil this winter.

Would suggest google and exmoor bees Pete has there own mill but am sure he would be aware of others/sources. May even be able to get him to cut to size

Last edited:
The cedar has gotten too expensive here for me to make my own hives now iv really enjoyed making my own hives but its going to be 2nds from here on out

I have searched the site, unsuccessfully, to find information on suppliers of WRC. I always use a mill at USK but fear they may be in lockdown due to Covid.
Can anyone suggest a supplier nearer to Buckinghamshire. I have potentially a large order for hives to fulfil this winter.
Do you buy your cedar seasoned? I buy mine straight off the mill and it takes the best part of a year to season planks for a hive.

Belvoir Sawmill in Leics have a good amount of UK grown WRC. I dropped in on them the other week, to have a look at what they have..... It's seasoned

Always used to get mine at Vestern timber in Wootton Basset .I did ask them once where it came from and apparently it was from Pembrokeshire. They let me pick the lengths with the least knots. This was a few years ago things may have changed since then.

Thanks everyone.
I have sought quotations from several sources but none have been as good as my normal supplier. I have placed an order with them and I am keeping my fingers crossed that they do not join other areas of the UK in 'lockdown'

Latest posts

Back