West Sussex Bee Auction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worldsend

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Attended West Sussex bee auction today on a bright blustery day well organised as usual thank you to all the volunteers

5 frame nucs sold (5) all made between £250-275

I was there ... there was the usual mix of stuff that nobody in their right mind would buy that went for prices that made you wonder about the mental health of the bidders, some bargains (I came away with a few) and other items that achieved probably something around what they were worth.

There were a lot of lots to get through and the auctioneers struggled at times to move the bidding along ... it got faster towards the end when Roger Patterson got the bit between his teeth and by then the large crowd of bidders, evident earlier in the day, had thinned down to the really committed (some would say they needed to be committed) auction goers who snapped up some of the best bargains of the day.

The organisation and venue were great and I felt really sorry for them when the card readers failed near the end of the day and many of us had to trot off to the cash machine in Sainsbury, Pulbororough to draw out cash to pay for our lots.

My star buy ,,, 5 pairs brand new Ansell heavy duty disposable overalls for £3 ! Normally £7 a pair. They were even my size and nobody else was interested ..

Worst buy of the day for someone ... a three frame extractor that was damaged and sold for £140 when an identical new one in perfect condition is only £117 ! Definitely do your homework before bidding.

Things I really wanted but managed to avoid ... a complete Dartington hive in really good order with supers and all the kit including Robin Dartingtons book, a beautifully made top bar hive (new) complete with a full set of top bars, legs and division boards - both sold for much less than they were worth to bidders who have never used either hive but, having spoken to them, appreciate what they have bought. The other thing I coveted was a wonderful, hand made, observation nucleus hive - which did not reach its reserve ...

All in all a good day ... chatted to loads of people and had a very relaxing fun day.

Improvement ? A refreshment van doing bacon rolls and burgers in the car park would have been a welcome addition .. the coffee and limited refreshments laid on by WSBKA were welcome but who can resist a bacon roll at an auction ... next year perhaps ? A nice little earner WSBKA if you can organise a cut of the sales ?

I was there ... there was the usual mix of stuff that nobody in their right mind would buy that went for prices that made you wonder about the mental health of the bidders, some bargains (I came away with a few) and other items that achieved probably something around what they were worth.

There were a lot of lots to get through and the auctioneers struggled at times to move the bidding along ... it got faster towards the end when Roger Patterson got the bit between his teeth and by then the large crowd of bidders, evident earlier in the day, had thinned down to the really committed (some would say they needed to be committed) auction goers who snapped up some of the best bargains of the day.

The organisation and venue were great and I felt really sorry for them when the card readers failed near the end of the day and many of us had to trot off to the cash machine in Sainsbury, Pulbororough to draw out cash to pay for our lots.

My star buy ,,, 5 pairs brand new Ansell heavy duty disposable overalls for £3 ! Normally £7 a pair. They were even my size and nobody else was interested ..

Worst buy of the day for someone ... a three frame extractor that was damaged and sold for £140 when an identical new one in perfect condition is only £117 ! Definitely do your homework before bidding.

Things I really wanted but managed to avoid ... a complete Dartington hive in really good order with supers and all the kit including Robin Dartingtons book, a beautifully made top bar hive (new) complete with a full set of top bars, legs and division boards - both sold for much less than they were worth to bidders who have never used either hive but, having spoken to them, appreciate what they have bought. The other thing I coveted was a wonderful, hand made, observation nucleus hive - which did not reach its reserve ...

All in all a good day ... chatted to loads of people and had a very relaxing fun day.

Improvement ? A refreshment van doing bacon rolls and burgers in the car park would have been a welcome addition .. the coffee and limited refreshments laid on by WSBKA were welcome but who can resist a bacon roll at an auction ... next year perhaps ? A nice little earner WSBKA if you can organise a cut of the sales ?
Philip, I didn't see you! I left before the last few lots but as usual had a great day. Sold a top bar hive and a load of Lang stuff I acquired plus several other bits and pieces. Managed to resist all but a heated uncapping tray.
I agree about the refreshments a burger bar would do well.
The WSBKA take 10% of the sales value.

Edit. I didn't see it as I was deep in conversation with many friends I'd not see since before Covid but I believe the BBKA magazines went for the princely sum of £1

Last edited:
I believe food sales were restricted due to covid

Come to Meon Valley bka auction later in May I will be the scullery maid in the kitchen

You did well to stay till the end I had to leave due to double booking but agree some bids for things I would have put on the bonfire

Come to Meon Valley bka auction later in May I will be the scullery maid in the kitchen

You did well to stay till the end I had to leave due to double booking but agree some bids for things I would have put on the bonfire
In my years of attending there has never been a burger van so I think it's more to do with reluctance by the venue than Covid.

Philip, I didn't see you! I left before the last few lots but as usual had a great day. Sold a top bar hive and a load of Lang stuff I acquired plus several other bits and pieces. Managed to resist all but a heated uncapping tray.
I agree about the refreshments a burger bar would do well.
The WSBKA take 10% of the sales value.

Edit. I didn't see it as I was deep in conversation with many friends I'd not see since before Covid but I believe the BBKA magazines went for the princely sum of £1
I was looking out for you as well but there were a lot of people there, it was busy and I was chatting (mostly with people I didn't know - but I'm a Yorkshireman and I will talk to anyone !) and you don't always see what's in front of you.

Yesgthe BBKA comics went for a £1 and the same buyer (a new beekeeper) bought the pile of Beecraft for a £1 also ! That should set him up for a few nights reading ...

Every lot sold apart from a very few that didn't meet their reserve.

It was a good day and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I think, next year, we will have to arrange a meet up for all the forum members who go ....

I'm hoping to be at the Meon Valley Auction ...the cake there is legendary !

7th May put it in your diaries.

Another good day out to look foward to ....

I’ll report that back to the team! Sadly I missed the auction as was wasting my time on a BBKA Queen Rearing Course….. 🙄

Thanks for positive comments. Our first event for 3 years and generally very well received. One of our Divisions normally has a cake stall, but they were unable to support the Auction this year. We have considered inviting one of the catering vans onto the Campus, but I'm sure Brinsbury would have a view on that as they have their own contractors on site! Most caterers will want their profits for the day underwritten by the Association and regrettably the day makes very little if any profit for WSBKA once expenses have been met. This is offered as a service to members rather than a profit-making opportunity. Regrettably DIY catering is now a thing of the past with the need for strict hygiene/temperature controls and the essential HACCP record keeping at all stages of food production and service making insurance almost impossible to obtain. This year we decided to pre-pay for the parking at Brinsbury (a new not insignificant charge introduced by Brinsbury) thus giving all visitors free parking for the day. And still no buyer's premium to pay! Hope to see you again next year. Secretary WSBKA.

You are very welcome ... it was a good day and yes, God willing, I wlll be there next year.

I do understand the limitations put on DIY catering these days and the unique location at Brimsbury Campus but .... it would be an improvement to what is already a well organised and well attended event.

I know of smaller events (not beekeeping ones) that are attended by catering vans and as the on-site caterers at Brimsbury were not operating on the day of the auction and it would not affect their sales it may be worth asking the College if they would be willing to allow a refreshment van there for the day.

Most caterers of the sort that attend events expect to pay for a pitch and there is no question of having to underwrite profits, provide insurance or hygiene implications.

https://www.sweventcatering.co.uk/catering-for-events-and-shows.php

Thanks for positive comments. Our first event for 3 years and generally very well received. One of our Divisions normally has a cake stall, but they were unable to support the Auction this year. We have considered inviting one of the catering vans onto the Campus, but I'm sure Brinsbury would have a view on that as they have their own contractors on site! Most caterers will want their profits for the day underwritten by the Association and regrettably the day makes very little if any profit for WSBKA once expenses have been met. This is offered as a service to members rather than a profit-making opportunity. Regrettably DIY catering is now a thing of the past with the need for strict hygiene/temperature controls and the essential HACCP record keeping at all stages of food production and service making insurance almost impossible to obtain. This year we decided to pre-pay for the parking at Brinsbury (a new not insignificant charge introduced by Brinsbury) thus giving all visitors free parking for the day. And still no buyer's premium to pay! Hope to see you again next year. Secretary WSBKA.
@secretary I was at Brinsbury through work recently and spoke to one of the farm staff who seemed to think that a catering van would probably be fine. Obviously this is not an official edict!

Latest posts

Back