Weres my honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Buzz

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I just checked my hives and last week I had 1 hive with about 6 super frames full of honey and a few bits and bobs in the other hives.

I checked today and all the honey has gone along with any honey that was in the other hives.

Should I have taken the honey last week? I was waiting till it built up was I wrong?

Jeff

The weather has been rubbish - for me anyway. The June gap was followed by a 2 day 'flow' earlier in July and er, that's about it! I too was hoping for more frames to be capped but it hasn't happened.

Should I have taken the honey last week? I was waiting till it built up was I wrong?

Jeff

If the weather was bad, then the bees have used it, so you were right not to take it (unless you prefer to feed them sugar syrup).
Unless all your hives are being robbed.

If the weather was bad, then the bees have used it, so you were right not to take it (unless you prefer to feed them sugar syrup).
Unless all your hives are being robbed.

I hoped I was right to leave it. I am sure they have eaten it themselves as I keep a very watchful eye out for wasp having taken out 3 nests in the garden this year and have traps all round along with observing the hives on a daily bases.
I do get a few wasps around the hives but they seem to be more interested in harvesting the wood rather than the honey.
Any chance that the bees could still give me a honey jar or two if we get some nice weather???

Any chance that the bees could still give me a honey jar or two if we get some nice weather???

In France, we say *hope keeps you alive*
It all depends on weather and what the bees have to forage. Personally I am not expecting any more honey for myself this year, but if you have a flow come on, why not take a frame or two as soon as it's capped and squeeze it out for yourself? I'm sure you must deserve it.:)

earlier this month my main hive was going great guns, capping off honey, I even added another super. The weather got cooler/ less sun. When I checked last week they seem to be ignoring super and did not seem to have made any advances on what they had achieved.

I have no problems with the bees keeping thier honey for themselves if they need it...but...a couple of jars would be nice!

Am glad it's not just me then! It seems like mine have been dossing around the hive eating honey and watching telly since early July.

Am glad it's not just me then! It seems like mine have been dossing around the hive eating honey and watching telly since early July.

Hehe that made me chuckle :laughing-smiley-014

Apis couchuspotatis

Mmmm new strain by the sounds of it:confused:

about 6 super frames full of honey and ......... I checked today and all the honey has gone

They may have moved some of it but I would think it has not 'gone'.

Certainly right to have left it, or they may have starved by now!!

Your other colonies may need feeding now, or at least checking out!

Regards, RAB

about 6 super frames full of honey and ......... I checked today and all the honey has gone

They may have moved some of it but I would think it has not 'gone'.

Certainly right to have left it, or they may have starved by now!!

Your other colonies may need feeding now, or at least checking out!

Regards, RAB

I was just thinking the same thing will get some feeders on them tomorrow.

Ours have done just the same. We got the nucs in mid June, and they were building up really well to the extent that I put a super on one at the beginning of July. Then the weather came. They've now almost cleared the stores out. The other hive lost its queen shortly after we got the nuc, so had a brood box with mostly stores by the time the emergency queen was ready. She's doing really well now: seems a great layer, and as they had loads of stores they still have a few frames. I just hope the bloody weather stays sunny now, otherwise I'll be having to feed them both soon.

I just checked my hives and last week I had 1 hive with about 6 super frames full of honey and a few bits and bobs in the other hives.

I checked today and all the honey has gone along with any honey that was in the other hives.

Jeff

Same happened to me and Im in Rushden so I think we can blame it on the weather.. Hey Ho such is life!

Latest posts

Back