We're committed now! Bees arriving 8th May

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melbourne12

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
After a period of phony war in which we’ve attended a beekeeping course, read some books, bought some kit, and even assembled a hive, we’ve just had a message that our bees are ready for collection. (ordered from Mikethebee)

So I’m picking them up from Gloucester on 8th May, and taking them back to Harrow where they’ll live on the local Beekeepers Association apiary for their first season. The BKA will help with advice and guidance.

I must admit to a certain amount of trepidation now the date is actually so close. Will it work? Will we be able to cope? Will the bees prosper, or will they die? Are we completely mad?

:eek:

You will be fine with the support of members of your BKA.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Our nervousness is partly the result of our recently acquired knowledge about the vast range of problems and diseases that can afflict bees. I'm sure that we'll gain confidence as the season progresses.

Bees have been around for 30 million years, so they tell me.

Watch them, listen to what they are telling you, and they'll have you trained up in no time!

John

Well, they're here, and established (see picture below). I picked them up from EasyBee near Gloucester (who couldn't have been more helpful), left them overnight at the apiary, and we transferred them to their new home this morning. :hurray:

Notice the new hive, clean overalls, new smoker etc. Does that give the game away that we're newbies, or what? :smilielol5:

Hoping to have a similar smiley new beekeeper pic for you all tomorrow.....

Hmmmmm I like the stand your hive is on. I don't think anything like this came with our kit.

Latest posts

Back