Wellies.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably a blast from the dim and distant past but local farmers swore by "Rockbusters" in my teens. There was a local guy sold all sorts of farm consumables from a shed next to his house. 🤔. My current wellies are some white ones with steel toecaps bought from eBay - useful for weddings too or so I'm told.
In Lesotho, where most of the herd boys wore wellies, white ones were a status symbol, only worn by the most senior lads

Skellerup Quatro bought from Hay and Brecon Farmers, Good for the wider legged.

I'm onto year 5 with my current pair. Walk about 4 miles a day in them. Good to know they are available locally - I bought mine in NZ and brought them back to the UK, as I could not find anything that lasted more than a year here.

Cheap green ones from a farm supply store are longest living in my experience. Aigle are nice. Think most brands are mass made in China these days, a couple use the same place in France - IIRC Gumleaf are meant to be good and they are one, think the other is Le Chameau but not sure on longevity of the latter. I just use the cheap green ones until I occasionally put a garden fork through them!

I agree I have had expensive wellies and whether its me but they have never last any longer than the cheaper ones. Also its not as heart breaking when you get a split in them.

Can anybody recommend some decent wellies? They are for Stan who seems to wreck his boots with dismal regularity. I really need something that he won’t trash. Cheers
Derwent ll Short Boots by the Muck Boot Company (Link below). Pulled the heal of of every other pair of wellies I had before I tried these. Comfortable for walking an warm. The only pair of wellies I would by now. I’ve had my pair for over 2 years now. I wear them every day to take my dog out and there still going strong.
https://muckbootcompany.co.uk/colle.../mens-derwent-ii-all-purpose-field-boot-black

Yes, Dunlop Purofort wellies are the ones to go for. More expensive than the regular Dunlop ones, but last and last ... I found I need a size smaller in the Purofort than my usual shoe size.
These are very good; had a pair for five years and they're hardly worn in. I bought the Purofort Thermo Plus for those days standing at wet winter markets; also check out Grubs or Muck boots.

A local smallholder suggested in a book he wrote that you should keep all your old wellies as it's usually only one of them that splits or needs replacing and if you're lucky you will have a 'pair' in all the saved ones, so long as you're not too precious about having them match.

I just fished out my wellies to see if it was one of the brands discussed here (it wasn't) but found a drawing pin stuck through the sole of one of them. So I guess it will leak next time. :(

Any real rubber ones should be fine. Plastic ones are horror to me, once I bought real rubber ones never looked back.. Here the cost for real rubber ones are about 17-20 GBP.. Miles to go..

.lechameau. Do do seconds which are a massive save if and bring them down to the cost of other similar RUBBER boots

make sure you go for rubber and neopreen lined 5mm is best …. the neoprene makes a massive difference

Timely thread as I have been using these all summer, OK when it's dry but not much fun when it's damp or an inquisitive bee finds a way in.20211102_123141.jpg

Following the advice here I've gone for the Dunlop purofots. Certainly feel a lot warmer, hopefully they'll last.

I currently have Aigle Parcours, so far had them 7 years and wear them most days to walk the dogs. They’ve only just developed a split which lets water in as I usually have to cross a stream it’s becoming annoying so this is a useful thread. They have increased about £50 in the last 7 years so not sure i’m prepared to pay that much for wellies but they do last 🤔

Timely thread as I have been using these all summer, OK when it's dry but not much fun when it's damp or an inquisitive bee finds a way in.View attachment 28958

Following the advice here I've gone for the Dunlop purofots. Certainly feel a lot warmer, hopefully they'll last.
Bicycle tyre repair kit will solve that. (And Shoe Gloo to hold it together.)

Latest posts

Back