well, wrong again

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'd always assumed that bees fdon't forage in the rain. Well yesterday it was pouring, although windless and warm, and the bees were buzzing in and out of all three hives like billy-o, whoever he is. Just goes to show, something.:dupe:

They're not Manchester bees are they? Manchester bees have to go out in the rain, or they would never be able to collect pollen otherwise ;)

I just googled it and every website that came up says that honey bees do not fly in the rain. Well I'm here to tell you they bl***y well do.

In summer showers with the sun out they certainly do even if the drops are large. Drizzle...not so much...I expect the big drop bounces sideways, tiny drops can soak and kill might have something to do with it?

I sincerely hope they do! I need a bit of action from mine and soon!

We had a heavy rain shower here about an hour ago and the bees were returning to base like bullets, bouncing off each other on the landing board.

Once it had eased off they were back out again, but it was still raining.

Ian

I just googled it and every website that came up says that honey bees do not fly in the rain. Well I'm here to tell you they bl***y well do.

Don't believe what you read on the internet Keith :rolleyes:

Sometimes they're out in the rain, sometimes they're out at night.

Last time I saw mine out in the rain it was sycamore they were after - big umbrella leaves over the hanging bunches of flowers. Might be lime they're after now? Rain pretty much does for the usual types of flower, but ones sheltered by leaves are OK and if it is warm rain it might even encourage the tree to secrete nectar.

G.

Latest posts

Back