Well hello there!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nakedapiarist

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've spent years wondering about keeping bees and finally did a course last year where learnt that all my reasons for not keeping them ( size of garden, living in a city, having neighbours ) weren't valid. So I took the plunge this year, I've set myself up with two national hives at the bottom of our small garden, one with Buckfasts, the other with local dark bees.

The main thing I've learnt so far is that having bees is very different from looking at someone else's bees, that and that I have a very tolerant wife and neighbours...

Look for an alternative site for emergencies. You will probably have little problems, but if you do then you need a safe haven to take them to for a few weeks!
Welcome to the forum, there are many with hives in a situation like your so I feel sure you will get plenty of help here!
E

I've spent years wondering about keeping bees and finally did a course last year ...
... two national hives at the bottom of our small garden, one with Buckfasts, the other with local dark bees.

The main thing I've learnt so far is that having bees is very different from looking at someone else's bees, that and that I have a very tolerant wife and neighbours...

:welcome:

Hope you are in touch with your local Association - as you seem to be discovering, beekeeping education is a continuing thing, and certainly in the early days it is very valuable to have a local mentor who can come round and eyeball the situation first hand before dispensing advice. Advice is much easier to get right when you can actually see the whole thing for yourself. Thus far, its a limitation the forum lives with! :)

Any sort of screen (even a trellis with 4 inch holes) will send the bees up and over - it can make a big difference to neighbours having bees crossing their garden 7 feet up, rather than 5 ...
And Buckfasts ... they will probably quickly want more space than a single-brood National affords, so plan on giving them more brood space - ideally before they plan on swarming! And remember that you need to be prepared (all kit absolutely ready, not just plans made) for swarm control. Given the current media interest, this is particularly important right now!

I'm a member and regular attender of the local society meetings. I've got the hives positioned reasonably well with the tall garden fence basically stopping them from descending immediately into next door, plus we have a lot of woodland across the road which seems to be where they're heading.

I do have an allotment but I'm still waiting for permission to keep bees on there - I've inherited a WBC hive that needs a damned good clean and scorching before it's usable but is currently stored down there.

I'm actually finding my buckfasts a little slow - the dark bees drew out their brood comb in a little over two weeks, the other guys are lagging a bit but get a super this weekend.

one with Buckfasts, the other with local dark bees.

Good luck, you will have a lot of quite amazing fun with your bees over the next season!

Welcome to the forum!

Yeghes da

... I've got the hives positioned reasonably well with the tall garden fence basically stopping them from descending immediately into next door, plus we have a lot of woodland across the road which seems to be where they're heading.

Bees simply going next door isn't the major problem, and a fence isn't going to stop them - notably if there is a 'better' (in their opinion) water source there.
The principal repeat 'nuisance' is bees crossing their garden at head height or lower. (Note that can happen if next door have that 'better' water source!)
When they are headed back to the hive, bees don't particularly "look where they are going" and take the most direct line (""bee line") to the hive entrance. Hence a barrier (even trellis) that keeps them high until they are in your garden is very useful. Hopefully your fence is high enough and close enough to the hive to 'send them high'.

Bees simply going next door isn't the major problem, and a fence isn't going to stop them - notably if there is a 'better' (in their opinion) water source there.
The principal repeat 'nuisance' is bees crossing their garden at head height or lower. (Note that can happen if next door have that 'better' water source!)
When they are headed back to the hive, bees don't particularly "look where they are going" and take the most direct line (""bee line") to the hive entrance. Hence a barrier (even trellis) that keeps them high until they are in your garden is very useful. Hopefully your fence is high enough and close enough to the hive to 'send them high'.

Too true... all the cherry trees that formed a nice high interlocking barrier, betwixt me apiary and my neighbor, twas chopped down... allowing my bees to give the townie Mr AutoGlym cars a nice hotwax beeshite polish.

I had to move the bees... chaotic to say the least!

Many on here gave some good advice... I have yet to take up JBM's as I feel that possibly revenge is a dish best served cold!

Yeghes da

When they are headed back to the hive, bees don't particularly "look where they are going" and take the most direct line (""bee line") to the hive entrance.

Our fences are over head height :), I provide water in the garden and we have a small stream optimistically called the 'River Rea' straight across the road.

I have noticed the pinging of returning bees off my back when standing close to the hive ( usually camera in hand ) I wonder why they take so much care on the way out then forget about navigation on the way back!

... I provide water in the garden and we have a small stream optimistically called the 'River Rea' straight across the road.

But if your neighbours happened to have a hot tub, that is what the bees would choose!

They like warm (in the sun at least), still (muddy/mossy) and seemingly smelly water ...

Having flown a plane... on the way out you are gathering speed and the air-flow over the control surfaces is high. This means that the controls are responsive.

Coming in to land, you are putting on the brakes (!) Low speed, lower air flow, plane not so controllable - need large movements of the control surfaces to have any effect.

In addition, a bee goes out empty but comes back full. (The opposite of a plane.) Making things far worse.

Latest posts

Back