Welcome to all Omlet Beehaus Members

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As an owner of the Omlet Beehaus, many of you will have seen my threads and blog postings of my progression to date. The forum is very interested in hearing about other members (I know many of you have the beehaus) experiences with their new beehaus hive, so it will be great to hear from you.

As well as this dedicated section of the forum, there is also the Blog section to post reports, photographs or even videos of your progression.

Please introduce yourselves and feel free to bounce ideas off me and other members.

And any new members looking to purchase the Omlet Beehaus, this forum is a great place to start your research into bees and Beekeeping.

Jim

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more

I join Jim in welcoming new beekeepers & potential new recruits bought to the site by their interest in the BeeHaus.

Like Jim, I am a course tutor and will help out where I can with any queries you have.

The forum is a great place - lots of knowledge is freely given.

Welcome once again !

Steve

As someone who has benefitted from knowledge freely given by these two I'd endorse that!

Good luck with the new role, JB - hopefully we can reboot the discussion in a feisty but constructive way.

I for one will be very interested in the thoughts of both those who can see potential problems with using the Beehaus (maybe those comments will help improve the design?) and also those who think it works well, or works well enough and fits better into their gardens and lifestyles than a more traditional design which may keep them better motivated in their beekeeping.

I think the temperature of the debate was putting off some people from joining in the discussion; hopefully you'll keep things on track.

Good luck again! It will be great to read/argue about bees, beehives and beekeeping instead of legal cobblers :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the 'Mutual appreciation Society'.
5 star rating after 3 postings?
I tried to rate this thread but found "You have already rated this thread"pop up.

Try it folks, you may find you have also rated it already :toetap05:.

John Wilkinson

Welcome to the 'Mutual appreciation Society'.
5 star rating after 3 postings?
I tried to rate this thread but found "You have already rated this thread"pop up.

Try it folks, you may find you have also rated it already :toetap05:.

John Wilkinson

Vbulletin V3.8.4(the latest version)has a bug in it regards trying to rate a thread after one member has rated,I am doing a fix today.

Heres the problem if you would like to help me fix it John:

$show['search'] = (!$show['search_engine'] AND $forumperms & $vbulletin->bf_ugp_forumpermissions['cansearch'] AND $vbulletin->options['enablesearches'] AND (!fetch_require_hvcheck('search')));
$show['subscribed'] = iif($threadinfo['issubscribed'], true, false);
$show['threadrating'] = iif($forum['allowratings'] AND $forumperms & $vbulletin->bf_ugp_forumpermissions['canthreadrate'], true, false);
-$show['ratethread'] = iif($show['threadrating'] AND (!$threadinfo['rating'] OR $vbulletin->options['votechange']), true, false);
+$show['ratethread'] = iif($show['threadrating'] AND (!$threadinfo['vote'] OR $vbulletin->options['votechange']), true, false);
$show['closethread'] = iif($threadinfo['open'], true, false);
$show['approvethread'] = ($threadinfo['visible'] == 0 ? true : false);
$show['unstick'] = iif($threadinfo['sticky'], true, false);

Vbulletin V3.8.4(the latest version)has a bug in it regards trying to rate a thread after one member has rated,I am doing a fix today.
A true picture is all I ask :hat:.

John

Last edited:
John this forum is all about giving a true picture you know that,its a warts in all beekeeping forum,every thing open and member led.

I would hate any member to think that dark forces were at work.

Regarding your post above:
Sorry regards the star system I am fixing it.

Changing the topic slightly I am thinking of running a new poll:

In years to come when Victor Meldrew passes away should we all chip in and buy a Beehaus to bury him in?..:leaving:

Changing the topic slightly I am thinking of running a new poll:

In years to come when Victor Meldrew passes away should we all chip in and buy a Beehaus to bury him in?..:leaving:

Why not ?? @ last a sensible ,practical use for for it :cheers2:.:iagree:

On a more serious note. It aint the hive Di Dah Di Dah Di Dah!! It's modus operandi .
John

Your just thinking of the money you could save,are you sure you are on the right side of the Pennines ?

Its interesting that you say you think the hive design is ok but your concern is the lack of knowledge that some new owners may show.

Thats good feedback.

Maybe the guys running the 2 hour induction days should offer another follow on course "Getting your first bee's" type of thing or really push to explain the importance of gaining further knowledge before getting the bee's.

Er ! Don't remember endorsing the damn thing !
I'm indifferent to the concept .
You must know my main objections by now ?
:grouphug:.

John Wilkinson

Maybe the guys running the 2 hour induction days should offer another follow on course "Getting your first bee's" type of thing or really push to explain the importance of gaining further knowledge before getting the bee's.

I'm sure as responsible trainers they will do that as a matter of course.

Yes Admin many Omlet bee courses are expanding to cover more than just a 2 hr taster, but more will progress as the season for inspection starts again in 2010.

Most people have stopped opening their hives now for courses, but winter (as we all know) is just the start of the season, so courses on winter preparation are already available.

Additionally off the back of the Omlet courses, many people how attend taster courses ask for additional courses on specific subjects.

Although have has been some slight negativity recently, my view of ALL that have attended has been positive and well thought out potential beekeepers.

May people criticise Omlet for many reasons, but they are offering courses (linked to), i.e the taster, that enable people to experience bees before purchase...I am not aware of any other supplier of beekeeping equipment that does this?

Once again I say, why dont others offer their skills and knowledge?

courses etc

That is the intention next spring - continue with the taster courses, introucing your bees, basic swarm control, making nucs for year 2,

I was thinking about a special course for Victor to do a trial fitting for the day he goes to meet the big bee in the sky but I don't think he'd pay £15.:boxing_smiley:

S

T

I was thinking about a special course for Victor to do a trial fitting for the day he goes to meet the big bee in the sky but I don't think he'd pay £15.:boxing_smiley:

S

I am sure we could very quickly get the money from a whip-round? or some of the forum donated money?:boxing_smiley:

Should be an interesting season next year,helping a few new beekeepers,and producing a few 14x12 nuc's for them.

Assuming you are running the courses to sell Omlet hives and nucs, (nothing wrong with that) your sales pitch is going to be interesting, bearing in mind that you've got to where you are on other types of hive.
Also, your experience with Omlet will be less than a full season.

So you'll need a good pitch to sell to cynics like me (who has not made up his mind about this hive) who always ask many questions before parting with hard-earned cash.

Food for thought before the courses start.

Assuming you are running the courses to sell Omlet hives.....So you'll need a good pitch to sell to cynics like me (who has not made up his mind about this hive) who always ask many questions before parting with hard-earned cash.

No one on the Omlet courses are selling Omlet hives! They are beekeeping courses (Taster through to higher levels).

Yes they are listed through the Omlet course site, but they are not like Time share talks you get while on holiday, where they pin you down and will not let you leave until you sign.

Yes we do (those that have) show the Omlet hives, but equally show what over hives we own.

And I am planning to build a TBH for next year, so that will also be shown.

Yes people that have been on my courses have bought the Omlet hive, equal numbers have bought nationals. Some did not even like beekeeping after seeing in the hive.

One did not want to continue with the hobby because they did not know what do do with all the extra honey they could potential get.

So in summary, not every Omlet beehaus taster person has gone out and bought the kit, it has been a long thought process for most of them

Assuming you are running the courses to sell Omlet hives and nucs, (nothing wrong with that) your sales pitch is going to be interesting, bearing in mind that you've got to where you are on other types of hive.
Also, your experience with Omlet will be less than a full season.

So you'll need a good pitch to sell to cynics like me (who has not made up his mind about this hive) who always ask many questions before parting with hard-earned cash.

Food for thought before the courses start.

May I correct a couple of points, Peter ?

The courses are to demonstrate the BeeHaus, not a hard sell. My brief is to introduce course participants to the joys and wonders and fun of beekeeping and to allow them to see, compare and contrast the different types of hives. I am lucky to be able to show them so many.

I will be honest in so far as I think the type of beekeping you intend to take up will dictate the type of hive, vis-a-vis...if you are into eco beekeeping, then TBH is for you, just a nice garden ornament that happens to be a beehive, then the WBC/Beehaus (depending on your tastes). If you like the idea of migratory beekeeping after a couple of years, then quite simply I would recommend a hive along the lines of a National, Langstroth, 14x12.

Horses for courses !

Yes, my experience of the BeeHaus will be <1 year, but so is everyone's, including all the other course leaders. The beekeeping doesn't alter that, merely the style of hive management (which isn't really that different from a conventional hive - it just gves you more options)

Finally, if you are a cynic, bring it on - at least you haven't closed your eyes to the BeeHaus. I think anyone who doesn't ask questions about it hasn't done their homework.:cheers2:

Jim and myself will be more than happy to help with any questions you may have.

If you like the idea of migratory beekeeping after a couple of years, then quite simply I would recommend a hive along the lines of a National, Langstroth, 14x12

No mention of Commerical Hives are you not recommending these?

Latest posts

Back