weird bearding in cool weather/late evening

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diebler

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I just got my first hive from a reputable supplier about 6 weeks ago. The colony was pretty numerous when it arrived and I added a sup straight away. In the past 2 weeks I have been unable to identify the marked queen. The brood frames look pretty full of all you would expect - v young larvae 2/3 days old, pollen and some honey and 2 deep in bees. The sup is drawn out and slowly being filled with honey. The "missing" queen could just be not very good spotting skills, but then when I started noticing a curious ball of bees around the entrance, particularly in the morning and evening when the bees have stopped flying, I wondered what was going on. I have read that bearding can be a way of reducing temperature ( doesn't seem likely with the current cool weather). It almost looks like the bees, which are immobile but not dead are trying to block the entrance. The photo below is a small version of what I am talking about. It is usually about double this size.

Last edited:
They just like a bit of fresh air, nothing to worry about, it is far warmer in the hive than outside. Just make sure you give them more super room as they need it.
E

I...I have read that bearding can be a way of reducing temperature ( doesn't seem likely with the current cool weather). It almost looks like the bees, which are immobile but not dead are trying to block the entrance. The photo below is a small version of what I am talking about. It is usually about double this size.

Despite being one the most studied insects, there are large parts of their behaviour that are not understood, and there are large parts where the causality is mostly conjecture.
I think the most anyone can say is that this behaviour has been seen before.
What is going happen next? anything from nothing to swarming. mostly likely nothing but ...

Welcome to Honeybees ... Welcome to Uncertainty :)

Last edited:
You should have seen one of my hives last week with something that looked like a swarm at the entrance. I Was concerned they were overcrowded and thinking about swarming so I inspected in the bad weather. They had plenty of room far from overcrowded, not surprising as there were several thousand bees on the outside of the hive and no swarm preparations. The weather improved the other day and they all went inside or foraging. I put it down to foraging bees keeping out of the way of the house bees.

I have same phenomenom here in Finland. It has been 3 days continuous raining and temp is 6C. And wind. They are old bees which are hanging on entrance. Lots of bees have died on misty grasses.

I think that they are very thirsty, because they cannot get water to larva feeding. They have tried to fly in the rain.
I have put drinking system to two hives, and each has taken 0.5 litre water a day. Bees try to lick wet landing boards too.

Last edited:
Hi Diebler,
I have one hive like that which I surmise is because they have lots of honey stored just inside top entrance and some bumbles tried to get in the other day. I have also seen guard bees sticking their butts into mouse guard sized entrance holes in my nucs effectively blocking entry when under robbing attack!

As above, remove the entrance block. Does the hive have a solid floor? That may be part of the issue.

Thanks all for suggestions and views, this is very reassuring. On the removal of the entrance block, are there any downsides, or is it just what should be done when there is lots of activity at this time of year

Thanks all for suggestions and views, this is very reassuring. On the removal of the entrance block, are there any downsides, or is it just what should be done when there is lots of activity at this time of year

The bees will regulate the temperature as they need it. All mine have been out for a couple of months now on full size brood boxes. Nuc boxes have smaller entrances but these too are open fully.
I will consider putting them back in when wasps become an issue late July ish, but then its standard size opening and a strong enough colony to repel them.
When it looks busy and crowded and they cant all get in and out quick enough its generally time to open the door a bit wider.
Good luck with the bees.

Remove the entrance block

:iagree: methinks the sluggish 'immobile' bees may be those queueing to get in late evening and feeling the cold.

On the removal of the entrance block, are there any downsides,
Not really - apart from as Pete says, if they are likely to get hassle from wasps.
My entrances ate open the full length of the hive - summer and winter

Last edited:
Now bees forage on apple trees. Beards are gone.
I keep entrance blocks on and they have electrict heating on.

But I give more room if they make beards. Normally beard is a sign of lack of room, and seldom lack of air....at least if you have a mesh floor.

Last edited:
Many thanks to all. For completeness, it is a mesh floor.

Last edited:
:iagree: methinks the sluggish 'immobile' bees may be those queueing to get in late evening and feeling the cold.

r

Not I'm my case they simply looked as though it was out of choice if end thing blocked the entrance for the few bees out foraging but conveniently left a small hole in the cluster to let them through.

Same here Tom. In my experience if they cannot get in because of entrance block they get hyperactive running around, which some people interpret as being robbed.

Latest posts

Back