weight of syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
When you mix up 2kg of sugar to 1ltr of water what is the end weight ?
Is this also the right mix for winter 2:1 ?

3KG,

by defintion 1lt of water weighs 1kg

see my other post,but i'll repeat part

for small amounts i take a 2ltre coke bottle add 2kg of sugar and add 1ltre of warm tap water, and shake until it dissovles

Thanks MM i was just reading your other post lol
:cheers2:

Good point,,umm did you try that :)

3KG,

by defintion 1lt of water weighs 1kg

see my other post,but i'll repeat part

for small amounts i take a 2ltre coke bottle add 2kg of sugar and add 1ltre of warm tap water, and shake until it dissovles

But 2kg of sugar and 1 litre of water makes 2.26 litres of sugar syrup. You cant fit a quart into a pint pot

Last edited:
Sugar syrup has a higher specific gravity than water. 67% syrup will have SG 1.33, so 3Kg is 2.26L. So either the Coke bottle is bigger than 2L or ...

Last edited:
Sugar syrup has a higher specific gravity than water. 67% syrup will have SG 1.33, so 3Kg is 2.26L. So either the Coke bottle is bigger than 2L or ...

or MM had a senior moment

so corrected

i put 1kg of sugar in a coke bottle and add a bit more than half litre of very warm water, and shake :banghead: for 2:1

Do not think you can get 2kg of sugar in a coke bottle anyway

so for 1:1 i normaly add 1kg of sugar fill the coke bottle to the top , so by wieght it is 1,3 kg of water and 1kg of sugar,1,3 to 1 about the same 1lb to a pint, 568 to 454 ratio of 1,25 to 1

must the Gin & Tonic, thanks for the correction

Last edited:
I use 2 litre milk bottles.

2 pints of water, 1.5kg of sugar.

Boil water in large saucepan, add sugar , stir well still heating. After 2 mins turn off heat . Keep stirring for 2 mins till clear. Add dash of lemon to acidify.

Place pan (covered) in sink half full of cold water to cool. After 10 minutes it is cool enough to pour with a funnel into milk bottle.

Just less than 2 litres. Perfection!

Minimal effort .. the lazy man's way.

I use 2 litre milk bottles.

2 pints of water, 1.5kg of sugar.

Boil water in large saucepan, add sugar , stir well still heating. After 2 mins turn off heat . Keep stirring for 2 mins till clear. Add dash of lemon to acidify.

Place pan (covered) in sink half full of cold water to cool. After 10 minutes it is cool enough to pour with a funnel into milk bottle.

Just less than 2 litres. Perfection!

Minimal effort .. the lazy man's way.

Yes as with skydragon its not good to boil the water and the sugar or even to add boiling water to the sugar. Warm water will do the job just takes a bit longer.

so corrected

i put 1kg of sugar in a coke bottle and add a bit more than half litre of very warm water, and shake :banghead: for 2:1

so for 1:1 i normaly add 1kg of sugar fill the coke bottle to the top , so by wieght it is 1,3 kg of water and 1kg of sugar,1,3 to 1 about the same 1lb to a pint, 568 to 454 ratio of 1,25 to 1

If your mixing the gin and tonic I'll have one :D

Pete

What happens if you put back on a super after extraction. And them feed. Will the bees simply fill the super back up with the feed ? is this a good way to make sure you have enough stores for winter with out filling the brood box with feed. Thus giving the Q space to lay?

so corrected

So how much of this do you add ? :biggrinjester:

Yes as with skydragon its not good to boil the water and the sugar or even to add boiling water to the sugar. .

I am sorry but this is plain incorrect..
How do you think fondant is made?

I have boiled sugar at 120C to make fondant with no problems....

NO - winter mix is 1kg to 1 pint. Spring feed to generate hive activity is 1kg to 1 ltr ie weak syrup.

NO - winter mix is 1kg to 1 pint. Spring feed to generate hive activity is 1kg to 1 ltr ie weak syrup.

2Kg sugar to 1Kg (ie 1L) water = 2:1.

1Kg to 1 pint? Strange combination of units, but = 1.76:1, so a bit weaker than 2:1.

I am sorry but this is plain incorrect..
How do you think fondant is made?

I have boiled sugar at 120C to make fondant with no problems....

Sorry my friend I was not referring to fondant, it is not advised to make syrup with boiling or near to boiling water I dont know the science but it can make the syrup toxic to the bees.

It is obviously a question of degrees of heat, warm water is ok. close to and perhaps boiling not advised, up to 115C and above ok.

I have looked and have not found any reference saying near to and boiling water is good for making syrup infact the opposite other than people on this forum.

If warm water works then thats good for me and I sooner air on the side of caution its better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Back