Weight and dimensions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkwinston4

Field Bee
Reaction score
WBC/Smith/National/nucs in Horsham, West Sussex.
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
Not sure if anyone can help with this but I have asked our usual courier to pick up a hive from Derbyshire but they have asked me what the weight and dimensions are.
The person I am buying it off is out at work all day so I cant get hold of them and I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas of how much a WBC would weigh with two supers, one brood box, the usual three lifts, roof and floor. It also comes with 19 frames and a metal QE.
I also need the dimensions. I think it will be easier if I ask the person to put it all together and then the courier can take it like that, so I would need the dimensions of it all in one piece.
I know this is a long shot but all guestimates greatly appreciated. x :confused:

weight

Thornes list the weight as 42.9 kg
with brood & two supers
but will be more with drawn comb

size

about 600X600X900HIGH is my guess
might be worth looking at palletised delivery I get 4 drums of stuff
delivered on a pallet it costs me £36-00 delivery

Hi Plumber. Does the person at the other end have to pack it all up tho? Reason I ask is because they dont want any of the hassle of packing etc. They wanted collection only or courier if I do all the arrangements etc.
There is no comb or foundation so dont need to worry about that side of things.

packing

most of the courier firms I have dealt with needed it packed, one did strap the goods to a pallet foc but I did deliver it to them. all I can say is phone around
and be prepard for a shock re carriage.

courier

just bin on ebay "beekeeping equipment" two classified ads for transportation of beekeeping equipment. it's Scotland based but may be moving stuff south from the heather might do a pick up and delivery ?

Look at www.p4d.co.uk They will collect things at another address and deliver it to you but maximum weight is normally 30 kgs (what the driver can pick up and chuck in the back of his van) and of course the hive would need to be packed - i.e. strapped up and I think in the case of a hive thoroughly wrapped in plastic sheeting or very heavy duty cling film followed by tape on the edges etc so the cling film doesn't unravel. To get over the 30 kgs rule and their maximum sizes you will have to split the hive but that will cost more as each package costs the same - it is not done on total weight. You don't need to be accurate on the weight estimate as long as each bit is less than 30 kgs, but you shouldn't have to pay more than about £20.00 in total if you can get away with two parcels. Three will cost about £30.00. They use DHL and you will get it the next day or at most two days later.

A pallet will probably cost more than the hive is worth I fear.

Last edited:
delivery

Rooftops
that's a very good site, best I've seen priced hive at 45kg 60cmX60cmX90cm and it came up with a price of £48 + vat. still expensive though. but the other sites I've seen would not go that large and only up to 30kg.

Mik

Yes, they do do over 30 kgs parcels but then they use different carriers and the price goes up significantly. If you can break the shipment down into smaller loads the total will be a lot less.

Latest posts

Back