Weekend Beekeeping course

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Would you consider £150 a fair price for a weekend course running to 13 hours of instruction and hands on practice? Accommodation cost above the £150.

PH

I would compare what people are charging for things like weekend cookery or art courses especially in your area. I expect you will find your price attractive compared to these though it depends on the numbers who will be attending. They should expect to pay more for a small group.

You will need to take into account the cost of any advertising for the event and the production of handouts which might include a recommended book for them to take away.

With beekeeping so popular at the moment you may have to beat the applicants off with a stick.

It would be worth running the first one at a fairly low price if only so they won't feel cheated if it doesn't run as smoothly as you would like. Once you get more organised and improve the course, taking into account feedback from customers, you can edge the price up.

I'm running a one day event for a local tourist organisation later this month and if it goes well I might consider starting them up next year on my own account. Lot of tourists round here in the summer who might be tempted away from the beach for a day or two.

Would you consider £150 a fair price for a weekend course running to 13 hours of instruction and hands on practice? Accommodation cost above the £150.

PH

Presume this would be at your place and your bees PH.....not that it really changes my thoughts and opinions.

One could always hope that if people were paying you, you would offer more helpful advice than you often do on here.

I asked once what the difference between Hoffman and Manley frames were, your reply was "Any good teacher will tell you to go and look it up" Well any good teacher may tell you to do that, but they would also then offer advice, pros and cons and a bit of general information - not to just go look at the Thorne's catalogue. Which I did and found out the physical difference but not the practical, which is far more important and was the reason why I was asking in the first place and the reason why forums like this are operating. It actually stopped me asking any more questions..............

I know of at least two other members who no longer post on here because of similar answers from yourself.

So I guess my answer to your question would be no..............other opinions do apply............

Frisbee

Here is my experience/cost over the past 12 months as a new beek :-

Autumn 08 - 4 week (4 x 4hr intro course at agric college inc handling bees each week. (£72 but they've put it up to £98 this year)

Spring 09 - 1 day intro course at local association - £20 - nice lunch included

At least 10 x 3 hour hands on Sat courses at v. experienced local association beekeeper inc free refreshments (take your own biscuits). Then nuc for £80 . Then follow-up mentoring visits - min 2 but more if requested. All FREE.

The agric college was way to see if beekeeping was for me but with hindsight wish I'd just gone to the local association who have been excellent teachers.

Local Ass will be charging for next year's course but don't know how much.

Like any thing, somone will always pay the price you ask, you might just have to wait for the right person to come along!

£150 for 13hrs work is only slightly above minium wage (for one person), get a group together and the figures add up.

I am running the omlet beehaus courses and charging £15 per person for 2 hrs, I am full with 4 people (suits)

Like wise, I run "bee buddy" courses for my LBKA, and do not charge.

But why not charge, people pay a lot more than that for other comparable courses.

You are obviously running it more of a bussiness than most, but I think Frisbee's coments stand and you might want to review you future advertising of yourself/the courses.

You never know who reads these posts! (Your Majesty)

Good luck any way

Last edited:
I am well aware that there are free courses on the go. I don't see myself in competition with them.

I remember telling you that Frisbe as at the time you were coming out with a stream of very basic questions which could have been answered very easily by a little research.

If I have put anyone off being here I am surprised to be honest.

I have taught bees for years as night classes and run weekend courses for several years too.

I should add that having beginners guddling about in ones hives and nucs in Spring is a risky activity to say the least. With an eye on the cost of replacing queens that has to be kept in mind.

Anyway we shall see what the interest level is.

PH

Have to agree that it takes dedication to open up your apiary (house in my techers case) for free every week. The member who organised my course had 20 people in/at their house on Sat and 25 on Sundays for about 10 weeks.

Not only that I'm sure the time spent inspecting/teaching their hives must have been detrimental to the bees.

Teacher I know in another association lost one of best queens which was killed by a newbeek.

It's very topical so if you can make a few pennies good luck.

I so agree that opening up your apiary is highly commendable. And risky too.

What is often forgotten about is the preparation that goes into running such a course. My old notes were pre computer and so I will be starting from scratch which in a way is good as I am having to think it all through again.

A good winters ploy to sort out all the slides and prepare the notes and hand outs.

PHY

By other course subjects it seems a reasonable price, however I paid £25 for an Introduction To Bee Keeping course. The course ran from about March/April for 6 evenings and was run by the local Association.

The answer really is a basic one of supply and demand, three years ago you would probably have had very few takers, this year probably loads. You will only know wether the price is about right when you start getting bookings from recommendations. I would say it depends what you intend to charge for the accomodation element and who you want to attract, but sounds as good a starting figure as any.

I remember telling you that Frisbe as at the time you were coming out with a stream of very basic questions which could have been answered very easily by a little research.

PH

The relevent thread is here if anyone wants to read it:-

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1672&highlight=manley+frames&page=3

You can hide behind the idea of blaming me for asking "basic questions" but a simple search by anyone who wants, will see your impressive list of posts blighted by sarcastic one liners.

I have actually asked very few questions, having seen others get their fingers burnt on the BBKA. Please feel free to search through my posts and find one......I couldn't.

Frisbee

Dear Frisbee you are upset because I explained why I detest frame spacers?

If that is all it takes to upset you so deeply please put me on block. I have posted no sarcastic comments that I am aware of. I post some very brief ones at times I know but they are I hope to the point.

Just ignore me please then you wont be wounded again.

You might be surprised at the number of pm's I get thanking me for this and that. So on balance you see I am miles ahead. And I do know what I am talking about when it comes to the bees.

Bye

PH

I attend microscopy courses and they begin on a Thursday at 1600 and finish at 1400 on the Sunday.
Cost for full board and instruction costs £175.

These courses are always fully booked.

Oh by the way PH nothing like blowing your own trumpet is there!

Regards;

Dear Frisbee you are upset because I explained why I detest frame spacers?

If that is all it takes to upset you so deeply please put me on block. I have posted no sarcastic comments that I am aware of. I post some very brief ones at times I know but they are I hope to the point.

Just ignore me please then you wont be wounded again.

You might be surprised at the number of pm's I get thanking me for this and that. So on balance you see I am miles ahead. And I do know what I am talking about when it comes to the bees.

Bye

PH

I refrain from posting too much because of your resonse to one of my posts, however, I do recognise that you do post a lot of good info and I have low expectations of forums ;)

I have read all the way through this thread, and re-read all the way through the other thread mentioned, as I was involved at the time asking similar questions.

For my part I can say three things ....

1. As a result of the previous thread, I bought some "Manley" frames to try them, ... as the name suggests, they have wider shoulders and no waistline, but I actually think they might have been designed by Mr Manley. Whatever shape he was I have no idea. The sides are about 35mm wide all the way down and you put them in the super without any spacers at all.

2. On this occasion I think Frisbee is right, beginners do ask basic questions, and are most helped by this forum by being given simple direct answers, so that they may gain some immediate understanding, and begin their own researches from there.

3. I would think very hard about paying £150 for a course as I have met some very well informed and experienced beekeepers who are willing and indeed happy to help and advise on a fellowship basis, and I have a very high regard for that.

I do understand that some are operating on a commercial basis, and therefore wish to attract profitable customers but that is not quite the same thing. They have their place and I'm sure will have plenty of takers, but it is not the only way, or even the best way, to learn beekeeping from experts of immense knowledge and experience.

In short, and in conclusion, and perhaps with some degree of self-interest ......

Go on Fris ........ give 'em all a good kicking. JC.

Manley frames were in fact created by Eddie Maddoc.

I have read all this thread and like the last post JCBrum I would echo the point made at No. 2. Beekeeping is like anything else we all start somewhere and have "L" plates to begin with and build from there.
I and my OH paid for a q/r course £45 which lasted two weekends and included instruction, hands on, hand outs and an Apidea, grafting tool and distribution of successful grafts.
We have recently offered this to others to have a go at q/r and all the processes we went through last weekend with beeks locally and as far as London.
Charge - NIL. Why?? I have no overheads, no business interests just merely wishing to pass on knowledge, experience and get practical experience of q/raising.
I am running this again next weekend 12th September and I am happy for anyone who wishes to come along who hasn't had the opporunity to do this before. Handouts free,cake free, contribution to the tea/coffee.
We are located near to Faversham, Kent.

Gandalf I do not believe you.

You will have to take pictures for us to prove it ;)

Regards new/prospective Beekeepers asking questions,thats one of the main reasons the forum was started.
So we could all help rather than say go search the answer as was often the reply on tuther forum....

I would like to think it's one of our strong points and am a little upset to read that some members are holding back with questions or not loggin in.

Latest posts

Back