webinars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echidna

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Sorry if this is posted somewhere else that I didn't spot. I'm not currently a member of BIBBA but they have a series of webinars which it seems that anyone can register to view.
https://bibba.com/webinars/You can either watch live, or watch the video afterwards. I found the first one useful and will definitely try to watch others in due course.

Webinar this evening at 7:30 by Keith Pierce, should be very interesting. Keith was a member here and used to contribute to the forum, many beautiful photos as well, sadly not any longer.

Webinar this evening at 7:30 by Keith Pierce, should be very interesting. Keith was a member here and used to contribute to the forum, many beautiful photos as well, sadly not any longer.
Is there a link to the webinar?

It's on the BIBBA homepage, links and such are beyond me. It's free.
Keith was a great guy, I remember a green marked queen he had that had a perfect smiley face on the paint (scratches) I'm looking forward to his talk.

The webinars have been great with still more good ones to come. Lots for all levels of experience as well including total beginners. They have really inspired me to selectively breed queens this year as I've been far too reactive in the past. I have a plan! Lets see how far that goes.

I have to confess: I did watch last nights presentation.
It was disappointing that a presentation talking about breeding would rely exclusively on open mating. Given that he knew there were a mixture of bees in the area, I would have thought he'd be using instrumental insemination.
He seemed to be ruthlessly pursuing dark colour as his primary goal. That's fine but you can't be sure of purity just by looking at the queens colour. You can't distinguish between a heterozygotic and a homozygotic dominant in the phenotype so it would have been better if he'd looked at her drones before deciding which queens to propagate. Possibly even propagate a few generations of queens he liked the look of, just to be sure they breed true.
I thought his description of his scoring system was a bit convoluted too. To me, it seemed unnecessarily complicated. I lost track of the: if A, I do X but if B, I do Y explanations and I am not without experience in these matters. It must have been even more confusing to a complete newbie.

I really enjoyed the presentation and learned a huge amount. I understood Keith’s scoring system but it needs experience to implement as it was quite subjective. I’m looking forward to a presentation by Jon Getty tonight which is also on raising your own queens.

I really enjoyed the presentation and learned a huge amount. I understood Keith’s scoring system but it needs experience to implement as it was quite subjective. I’m looking forward to a presentation by Jon Getty tonight which is also on raising your own queens.

I actually have a meeting of my own to attend tonight - the beebreed.nl Spring meeting. Lots on the agenda, including selecting the dams we'll be propagating this season. The drone line has already been chosen so we already know they'll be Thomas Kallweits DE-6-207-98-2018.

EDIT: Sorry. I just realised which section of the forum I'm in :oops::sneaky::whistle:

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed it, I can relate to his assessment regarding bands, I found the same. 20% orange bands is replacement time as temperament is the next thing to suffer. That type of assessment is simple. Cull and requeen.
Tonight's talk should be very interesting and equally enjoyable I'm sure.

I have to confess: I did watch last nights presentation.
It was disappointing that a presentation talking about breeding would rely exclusively on open mating. Given that he knew there were a mixture of bees in the area, I would have thought he'd be using instrumental insemination.
He seemed to be ruthlessly pursuing dark colour as his primary goal. That's fine but you can't be sure of purity just by looking at the queens colour. You can't distinguish between a heterozygotic and a homozygotic dominant in the phenotype so it would have been better if he'd looked at her drones before deciding which queens to propagate. Possibly even propagate a few generations of queens he liked the look of, just to be sure they breed true.
I thought his description of his scoring system was a bit convoluted too. To me, it seemed unnecessarily complicated. I lost track of the: if A, I do X but if B, I do Y explanations and I am not without experience in these matters. It must have been even more confusing to a complete newbie.
I've watched a lot of them. All are looking at selectively breeding for certain traits but some presenters are more specific than others. The general Bee Improvement ones are much more aimed at you selecting for the traits that you wish so anyone can take what they want from it. The longer I keep bees the more I feel that you most commentators are interesting you just have to take what you want from what they say.

Latest posts

Back