Weather worries.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vergilius

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
6ish
Extraordinary isn't it. Last week was mild and gentle with bees flying en masse and now, suddenly, winter has returned with 30mph winds, lashing rain and freezing temperatures. Well, I suppose I shouldn't moan too much as it is November now and generally this autumn has not been as harsh as forecasters predicted. Have learnt that a good, solid brick is essential in this weather as last autumn one of my roofs almost got dislodged. However I still get a little worried for them on these cold, wet, windy nights. Don't know why- surely common sense should tell me that a brood box with a low centre of gravity, full with 40kgs of stores and surrounded by trees should not get blown over!

Ben P

A good gust of wind will blow a lorry over..... granted it would be in a more open space than your hives. Have seen the wind blow over a tomato plant which was in a pot.... so very low centre of gravity on that.

We had 45 -gusting 50 mph winds last night..... Beaufort 9 on my anenometer, straight off the Atlantic!
Bees and hives don't get a lot of shelter when its blowing a West to South West |Hoolie!!
but hives, with customary concrete block on roof remained steady
Even so I did go and take a looksee at midnight.!!!
Must fix a strap over the roof to a couple of rings,,, have to go to Halfords as Lidl haven't had them recently!!

As for the weather, when i was fishing Saturday night it was very cold then the sea mist started to roll in getting colder. I thought perfect, calm and dark.with 30 mins it was a full blown thunder storm which was not forecast at all. pouring of rain lighting everywhere it was like a completely different night.

Had the roof of my WBC blown off last year, in the rain, and had just united two colonies.

This year they are heavily weighted.

Never had a poly blow over yet, so why should a timber one go?

Now what else can we all worry about? Life?

PH

As for the weather, when i was fishing Saturday night it was very cold then the sea mist started to roll in getting colder. I thought perfect, calm and dark.with 30 mins it was a full blown thunder storm which was not forecast at all. pouring of rain lighting everywhere it was like a completely different night.

That would be a front then..... would not have enjoyed being on the water last night:drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5:

Having seen the forecast yesterday ,I went round all my Hives and put ratchet straps on holding the hives down onto the pallets that I use as hives stands.
The other hives that I have on hive stands were also strapped down, for the sake of four pounds for a ratchet strap(fleabay) I think that is cheaper that having to restock my bee's.

A usefull item to help when using ratchet straps would be those big corkscrew type pegs used by market traders or for attaching dog leads to......but not a lot of good on concrete....

I put straps round all my hives last Friday. They were OK this morning :smilielol5:

However, I lost part of the felt roof off my shed last night.

Ratchet straps.... thats what their called
Would stop badgers knocking them over too?
On my shopping list for B&Q.... 10% off for old gits on wednesdays.. will take my father in law out for a trip!!!!

Surely at this stage of the season, the hives should be very heavy and not prone to blowing over at all...?

Secure stands using stakes into ground then spanset straps over hives and around stands. All mine are secured throughout the year. Don't need to worry then during those windy nights.

Peter

Secure stands using stakes into ground then spanset straps over hives and around stands. All mine are secured throughout the year. Don't need to worry then during those windy nights.

Peter

i use two heavy paving slab, pass the strap under them, place stand and hive on to of the paving slabs and tie it all together with the strap......why, so vandals cant push it over without getting a hernia :biggrinjester:, yes it rough were i live, it is called London

The main thing with spanset is to start with the tape facing the tape through the buckle. Watch the vid again.

PH

Thursday night the met office are predicting winds speeds of up to 60 mph across the south coast. :svengo:

Thursday night the met office are predicting winds speeds of up to 60 mph across the south coast. :svengo:

monthly forecast issued 29 October 2010 30 day ahead forecast, its corbyns piers general forsecast normally about 80% right and is "alternative" to Met office method

NOVEMBER 2010
See www.weatheraction.com

- Headline Summary
A mixed start with a notable storm with gales, deluges and
flash floods early in month.Some cold spells with some sleet or snow later; and a mild and windy/stormy month end.
© Weather Action™& Piers Corbyn™ © accept no liability for any loss

First ten days: A short cold start then milder with a major storm
with wind damage and local floods especially in Ireland and
South-West England. Colder North-Easterly flow follows with
High pressure in Atlantic, Ireland & Scotland and snow in North-East parts.
#
Second ten days: Higher pressure over Ireland and South-
West gives North-Westerly winds over most of England and rain
with more mobile flow in Scotland and Generally cold.

Last ten days: Includes waves of heavy rain and some local floods mainly in
Ireland & Central / South England & Wales followed by some cold Northerly /
North-Easterly blasts with snow at times especially in North-East parts. A mild and stormy (especially in the west) month end.

Latest posts

Back