Weather Stations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is an illustrator...the words are McFarlane's.
https://www.jackiemorris.co.uk
Ooops ... fumble fingers ... where's the remove emoticon button ? What I meant to do was a big like and I was going to say ... who needs illustrations when you have a word picture like that ....

PS:
Arrrr ... Just discovered ... you can change the emoticon ... you just re-click on the one you want !!

I just reach for my trusty frond of sugar kelp and a quick glance towards Will's mother house generally give me a forecast for the coming hour or two....
Not keen on those icybars... the cold ones!

Benefits of an old style education where my love of the English language was beaten into me ... you get to like it when the pain stops..

From an early age I wrote for the School mag under a variety of pseudonyms ... Orson Cart, Arthur Moe, Peter Dowt amongst others - I had to keep changing as teachers kept finding out the culprit of the pieces I wrote about them ....

I think, secretly, they liked it ... but I kept ending up in front of the Head ...
did you go to school in Fareham?

I've learned, over my fairly long life, that everyone has a talent somewhere in them ... sometimes it takes a lifetime to discover, in some it comes early and easy, occasionally it takes someone else to draw it out. I feel blessed to have had some inspirational people in my life, most of them now dead, I just wish I had told them when they were alive what they brought to me. I try not to make that mistake these days and when people add something to my being... I try to tell them, it's too late when they are gone.

I marvel at the talents of people like swarm ... who can capture a soul on paper with just a few paints or pastels.
I agree Philip.. Lady salwey taught me a lot to do with garden design she was a good artist with flowers and colour when designing planting plans, sadly she passed away.
but when I was at the funeral I left a note on here grave..

She was very inspiring and was very patient with her Gardener.
Latin doesn't come easy to me.

Just wondered as I did and had a lovely English teacher there...
There are a few about ... good teachers ...I had more than my fair share ... and the ones that didn't leave me enthused (history and biology ...) left a few words that occasionally do ring in my ears ...

No ... Mexborough in South Yorkshire ... (*or the West Riding as it should be properly called).
Good school as well - approved
There are a few about ... good teachers ...I had more than my fair share ... and the ones that didn't leave me enthused (history and biology ...) left a few words that occasionally do ring in my ears ...
Yes, unfortunately there are also some bad ones. I had two exemplary English teachers (although old Dai Bed could not get me enthused about Jane Austen!!) sadly both died before their time - one in front of his A level class, but (apart from Austen) you could not but be enthused in their lessons, brought Shakespeare to life for us, got me into acting in a big way and both inspired a lifetime love of Thomas Hardy's novels in me.
But with mathematics I managed to get both ends of the spectrum, one old baggott made my lessons a living hell, still gives me nightmares now and the mental scars persist, I have said I'll attend her funeral just so I know whick grave to dance on, fortunately the headmaster (after a brief but very animated chat with my father and a phonecall from my aunty Marian who was a schoolchum) made sure my next teacher was not just a good mathematician but so animated and enthusiastic that by the time I did my exams I almost enjoyed the subject.

Lasting memories, JBM. Do they realise the scars they leave and the effect their behaviour can have?
My lasting memory goes way back to the start of junior school and a North Walian sadist. Dafydd Hughes.
Thankfully I never endured this disgrace to the profession in the classroom, never had him as a teacher but for some reason he decided he didn't like me.
The list is endless but as an example, a nine year old boy held by the scruff of the neck and getting such a pasting that the only escape is to become a dead weight by taking his legs away. I took a few to my back and head because he couldn't hold me up so he had to stop.
To the physical assault add mental cruelty. I had played a season already with a combined schools rugby team and was captain of ours. Our coach left and Hughes takes over the job (being a gog, knew only the round ball) and within no time I'm dropped as captain. Shortly after I was deemed not good enough for the combined schools and he prevented any further training.
A horrible man and what hurts more is the fact he got away with it as my pleas fell on deaf ears.

Lasting memories, JBM. Do they realise the scars they leave and the effect their behaviour can have?

'Er indoors does not have maths as a strong suit.. she was a reception class teacher for 35 years and one of the best .. her pupils still come up to her ... some of them now in their 40's and tell her how much they loved her teaching.... but infant school maths is about her limit.

She went, in her formative years, to a convent school .. and when she was struggling with a mathematical concept one of the more vociferous witches (sorry Nuns) dragged her to the front and called her a 'silly little goose'. Her lifelong hatred of anything to do with maths stemmed from that single comment ...

Chilldren are often seiously affected by the careless or unkind behaviour meted out by those of an age that should know better ...

My lasting memory goes way back to the start of junior school and a North Walian sadist. Dafydd Hughes.
Thankfully I never endured this disgrace to the profession in the classroom, never had him as a teacher but for some reason he decided he didn't like me.
The list is endless but as an example, a nine year old boy held by the scruff of the neck and getting such a pasting that the only escape is to become a dead weight by taking his legs away. I took a few to my back and head because he couldn't hold me up so he had to stop.
To the physical assault add mental cruelty. I had played a season already with a combined schools rugby team and was captain of ours. Our coach left and Hughes takes over the job (being a gog, knew only the round ball) and within no time I'm dropped as captain. Shortly after I was deemed not good enough for the combined schools and he prevented any further training.
A horrible man and what hurts more is the fact he got away with it as my pleas fell on deaf ears.
The cruelty of some knows no bounds and in our physical and emotional carers is so reprehensible it makes me seethe. What a jewel can be made coached by a sensitive, understanding and empathic teacher yet what dross, what ruined life is risked by physical and mental violence.
I went to a grammar school and we had one such nasty excuse for a human being who wielded a slipper at the merest provocation from the boys. The girls used to get chalk thrown at them or sometimes even the board rubber but it was the constant verbal humiliation that some got away with that paled the physical violence into insignificance. Yet in the midst of this were truly gentle inspirational souls and they are the ones I remember. My total blindness to maths as soon as a greek letter appeared on the page was solely down to my sheer laziness though and I got away with it because I was good at other stuff

The cruelty of some knows no bounds and in our physical and emotional carers is so reprehensible it makes me seethe. What a jewel can be made coached by a sensitive, understanding and empathic teacher yet what dross, what ruined life is risked by physical and mental violence.
I went to a grammar school and we had one such nasty excuse for a human being who wielded a slipper at the merest provocation from the boys. The girls used to get chalk thrown at them or sometimes even the board rubber but it was the constant verbal humiliation that some got away with that paled the physical violence into insignificance. Yet in the midst of this were truly gentle inspirational souls and they are the ones I remember. My total blindness to maths as soon as a greek letter appeared on the page was solely down to my sheer laziness though and I got away with it because I was good at other stuff
The chalk and board rubber routine was a favourite of my maths teacher too - it must have been part of the training. He also took the whole class out on to the snowy playing field without coats and wouldn't let anyone in until someone came up with the correct answer. Funnily enough, it didn't work; even those of us who knew it suddenly became innumerate. Sweet victory

And Jackie Morris

When she stands at River edge she is Water-dog, Dwr-gi,
and when she hunts, is River-wolf, River-dweller, Otr, Dratsie, Water-snake.
Listen, here where water utters Otor,
Wodr, Lutra lutra, Long-rat and Watersnake,
Eel-hunter, Water-weasel,
Matadh, Baist dhubh, Doyarchu, Dobhar-chu, Doran,
Dogfisher, Dobhran, and Dorrag how,
the river king, Madra Uisce,
the Whiskered Diver and Water hound.

Know this,

Otter’s name is made from the language of liquid, not from words.
I went to one of the concerts where they performed songs based on the words in the book - music and songs developed in collaboration with Robert M and Jackie M. Jackie reproduced the otter illustration under lights and cameras, live on stage at Birmingham Town Hall, as they preformed this. What talent

I went to one of the concerts where they performed songs based on the words in the book - music and songs developed in collaboration with Robert M and Jackie M. Jackie reproduced the otter illustration under lights and cameras, live on stage at Birmingham Town Hall, as they preformed this. What talent
Wow. Lucky. I have spell songs on disc 🥰

The teacher that had the best effect on me was Mr. Spalding, known as Spoof, a history teacher. An ex army major who contracted malaria in Borneo in the war. He really suffered every summer. He made his own tobacco and smoked a pipe walking up and down the corridor between lessons, complete with mortar board with his black gown flowing behind him. The tobacco stank. I failed my O level history and he read me the riot act. He went on to insist I retake the exam, that I would pass it and he supported me in being part of the A level course at the same time and he told me I would also pass that exam. His belief in me had a really positive effect and I proved him right in both exams.

I had some good teachers, but my school years were darkened by an English teacher who took the mick because I have hearing aids. Thank goodness that most schools have a robust bullying policy these days.
My excellent geography teacher loved meteorology, and I am grateful that she taught me to understand air pressures and to be able to read the clouds. Very handy, as I work outside. I have a weather station made by Opes, which works well. I guess if you had a shed at your out apiary, it could work as it doesn’t need WiFi. This is what it looks like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
'Er indoors does not have maths as a strong suit.. she was a reception class teacher for 35 years and one of the best .. her pupils still come up to her ... some of them now in their 40's and tell her how much they loved her teaching.... but infant school maths is about her limit.

She went, in her formative years, to a convent school .. and when she was struggling with a mathematical concept one of the more vociferous witches (sorry Nuns) dragged her to the front and called her a 'silly little goose'. Her lifelong hatred of anything to do with maths stemmed from that single comment ...

Chilldren are often seiously affected by the careless or unkind behaviour meted out by those of an age that should know better ...
Philip, are you sure we are not married to the same woman? That description could be of my missus. Mine is in the kitchen at the mo.......
Yours hasn't disappeared for a while has she? 😀

Philip, are you sure we are not married to the same woman? That description could be of my missus. Mine is in the kitchen at the mo.......
Yours hasn't disappeared for a while has she? 😀
Ha ha ... no - I've got her tied to the washing machine at the moment but she has been going for long walks on her own during lockdown !

I went to a grammarMy school and we had one such nasty excuse for a human being who wielded a slipper at the merest provocation from the boys. The girls used to get chalk thrown at them or sometimes even the board rubber but it was the constant verbal humiliation that some got away with that paled the physical violence into insignificance. Yet in the midst of this were truly gentle inspirational souls and they are the ones I remember. My total blindness to maths as soon as a greek letter appeared on the page was solely down to my sheer laziness though and I got away with it because I was good at other stuff
My school was also an old style grammar school ...my father had gone there before me and some of the teachers who had taught him as young pre-war teachers also taught me in the autumn of their teaching years ... I was occasionally plagued with the the taunt by one who taught Dad 'you didn't inherit your father's brains then ?' Sadly - he was right ... but what I lacked in some areas I made up for in others. Discipline was strict .. a lot of the teachers were ex WW2 service personnel and it showed. They insisted on good manners .. woe betide you if you were seen sitting down on the bus home when there was ANY adult standing... The corridors at school were long and if you saw a teacher coming through the doors at the other end of the corridor you stood and held the door where you were open until they had passed through. I had some good teachers, a couple of duff ones and a couple that scared everyone witless - I got through and learned probably more than I thought I did. Schools and teaching are very different these days ... in many ways for the better but... there are aspects relating to manners, common sense and self discipline that I sometimes do feel has deteriorated in favour of a lessez faire attitude and the lack of any real censure for those who transgress is very limited.

My wife noticed the difference over her teaching career .. as a newly qualified teacher at Pitt Street School, Mexborough she had nearly forty 4 year olds in her charge along with a teaching assistant. It was a very poor and rough area .. but she managed to take them all on a coach to York for a school trip - walk round York with them, picnic by Cliffords Tower and get them all back in one piece. Just her and the TA ... she says 'they just did what you told them to do' end of ...Parents were supportive and their discipline was strong - if a child misbehaved the parents took things seriously and backed the teacher up. She ended her career teaching in a private school with a class size of 12 to 14 ... Gobby, self centred, selfish, arrogant, rude, know it alls ... and that was just the parents ! The children, even at 4 years old, were worse. Any school trip needed a ratio of 3:1 simply because they could not be trusted to do what they were told to do ..

How times have changed ...

Latest posts

Back