Weather - snow forecast for weekend

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 am this morning bees bucketing huge pollen loads in, given the numbers queuing and all crowding on the landing boards ;were it summer I'd have suspected swarming :)
By lunchtime a totally different climate and not a bee in sight!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thankfully it is a gorgeous morning ,no wind , sunny ,temperatures picking up by the minute .

Been wall to wall sunshine here as well today and yesterday, bees busy collecting lots of pollen. Made a start on the first stage of some badger control measures today.

None stop heavy rain day and night for the last couple of days here, water every where :hairpull:

None stop heavy rain day and night for the last couple of days here, water every where

snap just the same here and gonna be 2 degrees tomorrow:hairpull:

I wonder on what date they will announce the HOSE PIPE BAN this year :eek:

It was max 9c this afternoon with sporadic heavy rain......but in the short dry periods, bees were coming in with pollen.

......You have to admire their work ethic!

Snow yesterday morning.

No snow lying this morning but small white flakes as I write.

Saw 1 bee on a crocus collecting pollen yesterday. It was 5C.

Just driven from Porlock 8 degrees and sunshine to Countisbury Hill where it is 3 degrees and lashing with hail

Long range weather forecast is looking as though winter will extend into April. Bees are chomping through the fondant and hauling in water and pollen.

hmm when the warm weather comes then it will be swarm time in pretty short order, ithink.

did a few spot checks on the bees on Saturday (before the rain!). Still all very tightly clustered...

Three May's ago, it was extremely cold and windy with low daytime temperatures. The first warm day almost every hive swarmed.

Pete - i had a sneaky peek at mine about 10 days ago and 2 are already building up.

As you say; they swarm at their convenience - not ours!

Bl##dy BBC Weather ...

2 days ago they were predicting 10 degrees over in this locale next weekend (so I saw a day or two of respite from these persistent easterlies). Just looked at their site - now they're saying 2 degrees ...

Weather forecasting must be the only job where it's acceptable to guess, or get things completely wrong, and still collect a decent salary for doing so.

My bees have been in a poly nuc all winter, I don't like this chat about early swarming as mine are already only half the size of a full colony! This will be my second year as a beek, should I be aiming to rehome them at the first possible sign of good weather?

Bl##dy BBC Weather ...

2 days ago they were predicting 10 degrees over in this locale next weekend (so I saw a day or two of respite from these persistent easterlies). Just looked at their site - now they're saying 2 degrees ...

Weather forecasting must be the only job where it's acceptable to guess, or get things completely wrong, and still collect a decent salary for doing so.

It is their proud boast that 40% of their forecasts are correct .

Bl##dy BBC Weather ...

Or you could work for Microsoft.:icon_204-2:

Just driven from Porlock 8 degrees and sunshine to Countisbury Hill where it is 3 degrees and lashing with hail

That is often the case around here, as i mentioned earlier, they very rarely guess the correct weather for here, like they can in places like Kent.

Last edited:
I've just dialled up the Forum, not having been here for a year having got my knuckles wrapped then for what was seen as bad bee-keeping (it had done me and my bees well enough for 50 years), to find a post on feeding - 13 pages of it!

This year near Edinburgh is like all of you, suffering badly from the high pressure system over northern Scandinavia with now 4 days of almost continuous wet snow.

The bees have been out in the heather and crocuses when it did get above the magic temperature, but the projected continuation has me worried. Syrup feeding is clearly not advised - should I spend tomorrow morning making some fondant and getting it on them while there is a some warmth around. Or perhaps the wet sugar bag approach?

Thanks

Rob

With the current weather and the outlook, this thread could be made into a sticky :(

Latest posts

Back