Weather & hive inspections !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floss

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
is it ok to check a hive in such hot weather? Last night I did'nt as it started to thunder. This moved away and the evening was fine but very hot. They were still hanging off the hive at 11pm!

Now today it is hot but raining with a view to clearing this evening. i am anxious to check them as they seem to have expanded very well and I am anticipating swarming preps ( I hope to start a new colony... if poss). I have only had a colony 4 weeks and have been largely leaving them be. The queen is laying lots and there are many new bees.

How long is it wise to leave them at this time of year before you really do have to go in ?!

Probabaly seems obvious to many of you but I won't go in for the "sake of it" but I don't won't to miss anything I should know about!

Floss

Hot weather on its own will effect you more than the bees - you will melt in a full suit and veil:). You already know that they do not like thundery weather, the other things they don't like are rain and wind.
At this time of year you should be looking through them every 7 days or you risk losing a swarm - from new laid egg to sealed queen cell is 8 days and under normal swarm impulse the queen will leave in a swarm as soon as the first cell is sealed.
If you do find queen cells (unsealed) and the queen is still there you can easily increase your colonies by making an artificial swarm. To find out how type "artificial swarm" into search.
Good luck :cheers2: Mike

In this weather better 7am or 7pm. I did 3 hives this afternoon and it was :svengo:

Thank you both - hmmm, it is hot and sultry, spitting with rain (odd saying I think!) with the potential for thunder and the 7th day since my last inspection!

Will take your advice Heather. I think 7pm tonight will be too sultry but maybe 7am. Got the 2nd hive ready and hoping to articfical swarm if poss...

Cheers, Floss

Latest posts

Back