Weather Effects on Winter Prep

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The weather guessers reckon we are in for three weeks wet and windy weather.
Around me the ivy is just about to bloom, so will probably be inaccessible to the bees when it does.
So I guess feeding will need to be stepped up.
Are there any other considerations given such a gloomy outlook?

The weather guessers reckon we are in for three weeks wet and windy weather.
Around me the ivy is just about to bloom, so will probably be inaccessible to the bees when it does.
So I guess feeding will need to be stepped up.
Are there any other considerations given such a gloomy outlook?
I have the same forecast coupled with bad pollen income over the last two months so all the hives are getting Ultrabee

How has the pollen income been over the last few months as dani said her pollen forage has been poor these last few months.
Interesting how the ivy has varied this year I would expect it to be out flowering with you sooner than up here.

In places here, the ivy has finished. There has been a noticeable reduction in pollen coming back to the hive.

The predictions for a grand solar minimum appear to be materializing with severely depressed solar activity. Upshot being that upper atmospheric temperatures are now cooling and if the trend continues as predicted we will be in for harsh long winters and wet and cold springs/autumns.

Around here colonies that require pollen, bring it in. Some colonies don’t as I suspect very little brood currently And focus on nectar (when flying).
Generally speaking, nucs still bringing good amount of pollen. Full hives not as much.

The predictions for a grand solar minimum appear to be materializing with severely depressed solar activity. Upshot being that upper atmospheric temperatures are now cooling and if the trend continues as predicted we will be in for harsh long winters and wet and cold springs/autumns.

I think you study the weather to much, I'm a bit gel.

I have my concerns for the birds.. The Hollyberrys are out already they are so early this year, they will be gone before winter even arrives.
Maybe this wet cold weather that's to be predicted will tell the bee something.

Funny brood breaks across the board for + brood cycles then good ivy flow since the 8th triggered queen's to lay like mad.
Normal year for some but the ivy is really good locally after a zoom meet.

Surely that’s a contradiction in terms - grand / minimum??

Surely that’s a contradiction in terms - grand / minimum??
Wikipedia:

Grand solar minima occur when several solar cycles exhibit lesser than average activity for decades or centuries. Solar cycles still occur during these grand solar minimum periods but are at a lower intensity than usual. The grand minima form a special mode of the solar dynamo operation.

Wikipedia:

Grand solar minima occur when several solar cycles exhibit lesser than average activity for decades or centuries. Solar cycles still occur during these grand solar minimum periods but are at a lower intensity than usual. The grand minima form a special mode of the solar dynamo operation.
Well, I’m very glad to see that, but a grand minimum still seems contradictory to me🌞

We've had no rain for weeks and I hope that today's and tomorrow's? downpours might kickstart our ivy into flower...the buds have been tantalising me and the bees for weeks.
:banghead:

Back