Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

The Poot in Somerset 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
The weather guessers reckon we are in for three weeks wet and windy weather.
Around me the ivy is just about to bloom, so will probably be inaccessible to the bees when it does.
So I guess feeding will need to be stepped up.
Are there any other considerations given such a gloomy outlook?

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
The weather guessers reckon we are in for three weeks wet and windy weather.
Around me the ivy is just about to bloom, so will probably be inaccessible to the bees when it does.
So I guess feeding will need to be stepped up.
Are there any other considerations given such a gloomy outlook?
I have the same forecast coupled with bad pollen income over the last two months so all the hives are getting Ultrabee

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
35 this winter
How has the pollen income been over the last few months as dani said her pollen forage has been poor these last few months.
Interesting how the ivy has varied this year I would expect it to be out flowering with you sooner than up here.

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
In places here, the ivy has finished. There has been a noticeable reduction in pollen coming back to the hive.

Karol 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
The predictions for a grand solar minimum appear to be materializing with severely depressed solar activity. Upshot being that upper atmospheric temperatures are now cooling and if the trend continues as predicted we will be in for harsh long winters and wet and cold springs/autumns.

GuyNir 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
More than what the wife knows
Around here colonies that require pollen, bring it in. Some colonies don’t as I suspect very little brood currently And focus on nectar (when flying).
Generally speaking, nucs still bringing good amount of pollen. Full hives not as much.

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
35 this winter
The predictions for a grand solar minimum appear to be materializing with severely depressed solar activity. Upshot being that upper atmospheric temperatures are now cooling and if the trend continues as predicted we will be in for harsh long winters and wet and cold springs/autumns.
I think you study the weather to much, I'm a bit gel.

I have my concerns for the birds.. The Hollyberrys are out already they are so early this year, they will be gone before winter even arrives.
Maybe this wet cold weather that's to be predicted will tell the bee something.

Funny brood breaks across the board for + brood cycles then good ivy flow since the 8th triggered queen's to lay like mad.
Normal year for some but the ivy is really good locally after a zoom meet.

The Poot in Somerset 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Surely that’s a contradiction in terms - grand / minimum??

gmonag 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
6 Rose Hives
Surely that’s a contradiction in terms - grand / minimum??
Wikipedia:

Grand solar minima occur when several solar cycles exhibit lesser than average activity for decades or centuries. Solar cycles still occur during these grand solar minimum periods but are at a lower intensity than usual. The grand minima form a special mode of the solar dynamo operation.

The Poot in Somerset 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Wikipedia:

Grand solar minima occur when several solar cycles exhibit lesser than average activity for decades or centuries. Solar cycles still occur during these grand solar minimum periods but are at a lower intensity than usual. The grand minima form a special mode of the solar dynamo operation.
Well, I’m very glad to see that, but a grand minimum still seems contradictory to me🌞

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
8x Langstroth, a few Lang nucs,1x TBH, and about 17 mating mini nucs
The statistical correlation between Grand Solar Minima and weather is unproven.. Volcanic activity is the major factor. Think dust clouds in the atmosphere reducing solar radiation at ground level..

fiat500bee 

Banned
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
We've had no rain for weeks and I hope that today's and tomorrow's? downpours might kickstart our ivy into flower...the buds have been tantalising me and the bees for weeks.
:banghead: