Wear White Only

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh, ok. Let's think this one through.
Bee will accept their keepers poisoning them with thymol and drowning them with oxalic acid, but if you wear black you are in trouble.
Doesn't sound very likely does it.

When I first started I was told that the smell of the blue dye they use on cotton boiler suits makes the bees attack, nylon is fine but blue cotton = bad.

never tried it, may be rubbish.

Eh, ok. Let's think this one through.
Bee will accept their keepers poisoning them with thymol and drowning them with oxalic acid, but if you wear black you are in trouble.
Doesn't sound very likely does it.

It may seem unlikely but one of my hives - normally pacifist - decides that a black top = time to throw off pacifism and it's time to repel beekeepers.

Maybe it's my aftershave today - no I don't wear any.
Or I have not washed and am sweaty:- no I have washed..

As it happens on two successive days.. proven by experience...

There is a smoker on the market using a suede type material on its' bellows !
This drives the bees wild . Over 200 stings were counted on one I saw at the branch apiary , all in one session :willy_nilly:
VM

I don't think it matters greatly to (most) bees. However, there may be some ...

White is cool in the sun. Not without importance.
White shows the dirt. No bad thing, it has to BE clean, not hide dirt. And it shows any cling-on bees.

But white is very conspicuous, not low profile. Important for some, but not all.
And, for the fashionable, white does look just a little old-fashioned ... :) But that sort of consideration doesn't matter much to the great majority of beekeepers, it seems ... :) :)

Its a practical piece of protective clothing.
For a beginner, colour shouldn't matter much, compared to its other attributes.
Unless you want to wind up the dinosaurs! :cool:

Thanks all, just joined up and advice has out a new perspective on things :). I couldnt care less about fashion, I just dont want to get stung (too much)...

Last edited:
Stopped in to look at my hive after work. lots of activity but seemed in a very good mood so checked the varroa board & popped off the roof for to take out an empty fondant tray. All very calm & no intrest in me.
After reading this I realised I was wearing my thin black suit & sun glasses!

Clearly the sun glasses were key here. You were in disguise.........

Italian bees recognise a fellow mafioso by his suit n shades

wig & false moustache packed for next inspection!;)

:rofl:

well i have very off white top and wear pull over khaki trousers, they show no more interest in one or the other. and as for strong smells being offensive - they obviously dont class cow it and hypo chloride and teat dip splashed wellies as a strong smell! never have a problem with girls showing any interest in them at all.

My opinion would be that it is just someone who is over the top pureist or has shares in white bee suits.

I tend to avoid dipping my teats until after an inspection :D
Hardly anyone in my BKA - and that includes a SBI has a white suit - they range from sage green through light khaki to lurid pinks and yellows. Does that mean none of us are doing it properly?

Hardly anyone in my BKA - and that includes a SBI has a white suit - they range from sage green through light khaki to lurid pinks and yellows. Does that mean none of us are doing it properly?

Yes.

The only authentic suit includes a tweed jacket and cloth cap.

http://agrariannation.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/bees-honey-1833-1865-1867-1880.html

Although if it gets a bit warm, a tweed waistcoat and rolled up shirt sleeves provide a suitable alternative (Hooper p121 5th edition).

Don't forget bees are wild animals/insects with basic built in protective instincts that protect their young/home, they see wild animals as a threat, colour is one of many things that they can distinguish between friend and foe.
Light shades seems to be non responsive and very dark colours seems to aggravate bees, especially feral bees. Most bee suits sold in the world are bee friendly, the right colour and material although some are better quality than others.

Hello

Hi Spanner

Liked your FB post about the course and death by
power point bin there myself know what your saying.

My suits white going on to brown must wash it

Latest posts

Back