we are making progress!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taff..

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
MrsTaff has a severe case of 'anything that flies and has a sting wants to kill me' syndrome.

the potential for any hive being placed in our garden is absolutely zero, even though its 200 ft long.

this year we have noticed a lot (and I mean a hell of a lot) more bumble bee's about and we've just found out why.......they are nesting behind my workshop under that big pile of old timber :svengo:

we walk within about 3ft of the nest everytime we go down to the veg patch and of course they are doing absolutely no harm what so ever, the big surprise came last night when MrsTaff came in after watering the greenhouse and anounced that she'd been sitting watching the bee's come and go (about 6 ft away from the nest) and 'my gawd, there were loads of them come flying in when a couple of drops of rain fell' :D

anyone got an old veil they want to sell? she might even come over and have a look in one of the hives one day :sifone:

the down side is, at some point I want to put some decking up where the nest is so I may have to move them somehow but at my rate of working they should be fine for a few years yet ;)

Observer SMOCK

Our unique low-cost cotton smock designed for occasional use continues to sell very well. This jacket is ideal for visitors to your apiary or Branch Open Days when members of the public are offered a taste of beekeeping.

ONLY £7.99

http://www.modernbeekeeping.co.uk

Taff, the bumble bee nest will be finished with by the autumn so do your decking in the winter season. Bumble bee queens look for holes in the spring, starting a nest from scratch. The new queens come out in the autumn, get mated and hibernate on their own. the old nest dieing out.

anyone got an old veil they want to sell? she might even come over and have a look in one of the hives one day :sifone:
Careful, my missis ("I only want to look but not get involved")sticks her penny's worth in every time I inspect my colonies .

John Wilkinson

Thorne are doing an "occasional" jacket and veil for £5 this month!

https://secure.thorne.co.uk/cgi-bin...HISPAGE=pagethismonth.html&ORDER_ID=407850556

thanks, only size L available :(

this is the nest site (or is that building site :confused:)

bumble.jpg

thanks, only size L available .
I bought 3 of these and they are not so large.
I am 5' 11", average build and they fit me fine.
I have a beekeeper friend who weighs about 17 stone and he couldn't get one on at all.

They'll probably shrink if you give 'em a warm wash.

JC.

Latest posts

Back