wbc / national boxes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disagree! Except yes, the boxes are a bit flimsy and after a mere six years of beekeeping I have to do some basic repairs this winter ... which is one of the reasons why I wanted to take some of the supers off pre-feeding! - I adjust the size of the 'front' door according to the weather and never have a problem with humidity or cold - the lifts help to adjust the outside temperature gradually. The lifts get propolised but of course can't be completely airtight because of the roof apertures and the front door bit. Each to his own!

The lifts get propolised but of course can't be completely airtight because of the roof apertures and the front door bit. Each to his own!

How on earth do the lifts get propolised?
They are outside the boxes where the bees are.

Thank you - this is the best reply I've had. Definitely worth a try I think, - at least I can always cut the boxes down a bit if they don't fit.

They don't get sompletely gummed up but just enough so I need to jerk the lifts apart with my hive tool. Thee are generally a few bees loitering around in the inner space . Maybe they realise that if the lifts let in a bit too much draft the inner area could get too cold, same as us humans if we have cavity walls.

Latest posts

Back