wbc / national boxes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarolW

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Encouraged to ask stupid questions under my own name rather than hide behind the beautiful alias I'd dreamed up, here's number one:

Why are WBC bo,xes not square? I'm told that national boxes won't fit inside, probably because their external measurements are too big. My colonies would really benefit from that one extra frame per box. Unless I'm advised otherwise I'll be trying to make my own square boxes this winter.

NB I have WBCs because they are absolutely THE BEST specially as we live in a frost pocket. No messing with insulating materials, also no humidity problems.

WBC boxes aren't square because if they were, they'd be Nationals :)

But try a National box - you'll probably find it will fit inside the lifts.

Encouraged to ask stupid questions under my own name rather than hide behind the beautiful alias I'd dreamed up, here's number one:

Why are WBC bo,xes not square? I'm told that national boxes won't fit inside, probably because their external measurements are too big. My colonies would really benefit from that one extra frame per box. Unless I'm advised otherwise I'll be trying to make my own square boxes this winter.

NB I have WBCs because they are absolutely THE BEST specially as we live in a frost pocket. No messing with insulating materials, also no humidity problems.
Treat your bees to some extra space and upgrade to 14x12
They are pretty hives and they have that extra insulation
The only extra thing you have to do is stick a slab of 50mm insulation on the crownboard

As for why aren’t they square ..... no idea but some National boxes do fit.

WBC boxes aren't square because if they were, they'd be Nationals :)

But try a National box - you'll probably find it will fit inside the lifts.

I got given lots of wbc lifts last year and used them as extra protection for winter by putting national boxes inside worked a treat.

Treat your bees to some extra space and upgrade to 14x12
They are pretty hives and they have that extra insulation
The only extra thing you have to do is stick a slab of 50mm insulation on the crownboard

As for why aren’t they square ..... no idea but some National boxes do fit.

Point one is that not all WBC's are the same... some run top space some bottom. some fit floors cold way others warm.
I have even seen 14 x 12 WBC boxes... an abomination in my mind.I run standard nationals(and a few WBC's as her majesty like to see them in the distance!) and can still stand upright... 14 x 12 will almost certainly lead to a beekeeperers back!!:calmdown:

I once bought 6 at an auction or roup. none of the lifts were interchangable. Made great firewood though.

psst op... poly is better than double wall any day of the week. ;)

PH

And what's more ... William Broughton Carr recommended that in winter the space between the lifts and the hives be packed with straw to provide ... yes, you've probably guessed ...insulation...takes a few years for good beekeeping ideas to catch on doesn't it ? That other great Yorkshire beekeeper Bill Bielby caught up with it and in his 1972 book declared 'you can never have too insulation' amongst other wise comments about overwintering bees.

And what's more ... William Broughton Carr recommended that in winter the space between the lifts and the hives be packed with straw to provide ... yes, you've probably guessed ...insulation...takes a few years for good beekeeping ideas to catch on doesn't it ? That other great Yorkshire beekeeper Bill Bielby caught up with it and in his 1972 book declared 'you can never have too insulation' amongst other wise comments about overwintering bees.

What kind of straw?

My colonies would really benefit from that one extra frame per box. Unless I'm advised otherwise I'll be trying to make my own square boxes this winter.

Carol,
If you reckon they'll benefit from one extra frame, try one extra box. You'll give the queen freedom and reduce swarming, and the extra management work is minimal. 14x12 may give 41% extra space over a standard National but does not give the sweet flexibility of double brood, nor the ease of lifting the smaller (full) brood box. Tried the larger box for several years before realising its limitations.

I agree with the others: insulation is king; check compatibility of parts and stick with one manufacturer; try poly boxes inside the lifts, especially if weight is a concern (Abelo boxes have the footprint of National).

WBCs came my way when a friend of a friend was divorcing her husband, and gave me bees and kit (she had the money to pay for his hobby, he had the drink problem). I was unsure at first, but despite the extra work of lifts, now like them very much. Bees do well, as well.

Two design niggles: the bottom of both rebated sides of the boxes needs stripwood fitted to close the joints between boxes. The other issue is that the undersides of the rebated sides ought to have (when BBS) a beespace recess over the frame lugs below.

I ran 10 WBCs back in the 80s before giving up on them and going on to national equipment they do well in regard to shedding water as the outer boxes lap like a tile. Sometimes with a double national brood water gets in to frame lug area particularly on some older boxes. But the insulation bit is rather over played. There’s a bloody big hole for a front door directly into the internal box and unless the outer lifts are air tight the internal temp is very much the same as the outside. Add to that the fact the internal boxes are weak and with age don’t stand up to and leverage they became a pain.

Ohhh dear god please nooooooooo

I know that there will be people who want to "stick to the topic" but I have to say that the subtle banter does make me chuckle on a morning reading the new posts while at work (while working of course).

Keep up the good work everyone.

Now that must be a niche in the market!:calmdown:

Yeghes da

Did someone say Market Niche ... ? I'm onto it ... plastic lifts from planks that are recycled milk bottles ... virtually indestructible .. any colour you like as long as it's brown ...

Bee perfect ...

Just the thought of a 14 x 12 makes my back go all grindy! Thank you for the advice though.

Latest posts

Back