ways to apply fondant blocks?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Need advice,

Ok so I have my white fondant now but just trying to work out the best way to give it to the bees, can I just cut a block in half and place it on top (leave plastic cover on it to keep moist) of the frames? or should I place it on some baton's put across the frames tops first?

it seems soft and I dont want it running down the frames in the BB.

Jez

Put it on a queen exluder on top of the frames,it will increase the surface area in contact with the fondant.

And yes just cut it in half if you want,once they get going with it I often give them a hand in exposing more fondant to them on the sides and then top.

Put it on a queen exluder on top of the frames,it will increase the surface area in contact with the fondant.

And yes just cut it in half if you want,once they get going with it I often give them a hand in exposing more fondant to them on the sides and then top.

i did see that had been used before but figured it was going to make a hell of a mess on the QX's - i guess they will clean the QX at some point

On top of crown board if using as main feed in warm weather,say during september,the bee's will take it down and store the same as syrup. Later in colder weather on top of Q- exluder,the bee's will just eat it as they need it.

On top of crown board if using as main feed in warm weather,say during september,the bee's will take it down and store the same as syrup. Later in colder weather on top of Q- exluder,the bee's will just eat it as they need it.

cheerz all

I have been feeding syrup for the last few weeks. I didnt realise that fondant was fed at this time of the year. Would it be a good idea for me to put a block on my hives instead of the syrup?

I think most who use fondant do it because its the lazy way of feeding.
This year I am doing both because of the cheap sugar offer at Bookers,but in the past I just used fondant.

I think most who use fondant do it because its the lazy way of feeding.
This year I am doing both because of the cheap sugar offer at Bookers,but in the past I just used fondant.

:) lazy here (after mixing 150kg of sugar I got bored), there are some good reasons for using fondant too

Hi all,showing my ignorance and never having used fondant, do you use an eke or empty super above the q/ex. P.S. great forum. Ainsie

Thanks Hivemaker,have bookmarked the site for future reference.Will give it a go next year, seems a lot less trouble than feeding sugar syrup and fits in better with apiguard treatment.A:cheers2:insie

Thank you as well. I think i will get some and pop it on my hives this week. Again,thanks for the invaluable advice.

Back