Wax, what wax?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moggs

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I've put together a Wax Reclamation Boiler, design based on the PH Special. It consists of a Home Brewing boiler with simmerstat, into which all my dismantled comb is thrown. Water is added to bring the whole mass up to about 2/3 full.

When boiling nicely, the heat is switched off and the filtration device is pressed into service (literally). It's a circular frying-pan spatter-guard mesh thingy, that fits very snugly down into the top of the boiler, sitting horizontally just above the boiled goo.

Then, using a garden hose, reverse flow cold water is gently applied to the boiler drain tap, the effect being to force the liquid wax through the mesh to solidify into a clean block of re-usable.

Boil 1 and 2 resulted in some very satisfying blocks of wax that will be sent to the candle making section of this operation. However, the third run brought mystery and intrigue. The boiler was duly recharged, this time with some decidedly grotty black comb that had seen much service. The boil commenced and quickly resulted in a predictable seething dark porridge that frothed and bubbled menacingly; Hecate's finest.

When it was done, the filter was applied as before and the clear water run in at the tap. To my great dismay, the only wax that appeared was in the form of a few wisps of yellow, midst the evil brown liquor.

So "where's my wax?" The remaining sludge consists of a load of larval cocoons and other grot. Perhaps the wax has become inextricably bound to this. I might try to get some more direct heat on it to see if it will break down but I'm not too optimistic.

It was all going so well...

To my great dismay, the only wax that appeared was in the form of a few wisps of yellow, midst the evil brown liquor.

So "where's my wax?" The remaining sludge consists of a load of larval cocoons and other grot. Perhaps the wax has become inextricably bound to this. I might try to get some more direct heat on it to see if it will break down but I'm not too optimistic.

Probably not much wax there to start with if very old comb

Pics any pics :)

There are indeed pics - but not for the faint-hearted! Watch this space...

might be the rubbish in the wax blocked all the holes. it might be worth trying again using a less fine mesh to get the large rubbish out then fine filter it a second time.

:iagree:

might be worth making a modified version with a coarsely perforated disc fitted below the mesh.

however lets see what PH says when he comes along.

Thanks all. Indeed - I suspect that there's more wax that is beyond my reach. In fact, the amount that spilled down the kitchen sink when the filter cloth split is testament to that (and my popularity in the kitchen). Don't try this at home folks :)

If I am brewing up wax with cocoons in it, I use a coarse filter and run it like that.

I would then run it again with a fine filter and for cappings wax I would use surgical lint as the last filter. The result is then candle wax.

My "machine" works on pressure please remember. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lOIXqJ-Xg

PH

Last edited:
Thanks PH - coarse filtration it is. I'll work on version 2 for the summer. It's a fair bet that there'll be no best bitter coming out of this boiler again!

Ahh - I was going to ask you for the link - thanks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back