Wax rendering

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HILLTOPCOTTAGE

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
So i decided to clean out some brood frames and replace the foundation, i now have a bucket of stores / honey / sugar syrup and a decent amount of wax foundation albeit still soaked in honey.
Whats the best way to use these. The frames were treated last year with Apivar

So i decided to clean out some brood frames and replace the foundation, i now have a bucket of stores / honey / sugar syrup and a decent amount of wax foundation albeit still soaked in honey.
Whats the best way to use these. The frames were treated last year with Apivar

Is it wax foundation ie a flat sheet of undrawn wax or is it old brood comb in the bucket?

If foundation why did it need replacing? If old brood comb some would wash the honey/stores out and melt it down and retrieve the wax. Others = me, would chuck it or use it as firelighters.

You could store the honey/syrup and put it in a feeder when needed - as long as it didn't come from a diseased colony.

The best thing would have been to get the bees to clean all the stores out for you and then you just render the wax. Now you need to melt the whole lot and let the wax float to the surface. Ditch the ruined stores and wash and clean the wax. Or.....keep it as it is and feed it in rapid feeders back to the bees in autumn. They will leave the wax and remove the stores. You can then render the dry wax!

Last edited:
Another option would be to wash the stores and honey out of the wax so you can render it down and use the resulting honey water to make mead.

Latest posts

Back