wax production?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
i am curious with a solution of 1:1 on a new Nuc or swarm how much wax can they produce is there a direct comparison ?
i am feeding 1:1 on a new nuc that i have put in a brood box with undrawn frames and they must be having a right old party in there, in roughly 24 hours they have used about 3 pints!
:party:

I was amazed - I put 2 pints of 1:1 syrup on my new nuc on sunday - and the feeder was bone dry yesterday. I could hardly believe it! They do pack it away when it's offered!

I added another 2 pints yesterday... and that's going to have to do them until the weekend... I don't think they'd appreciate being disturbed by me again just yet!

(I should point out - I'm a new beekeeper - so all this is still very new to me!)

I have seen them take 4 gallons over night. Ho hum.

PH

I have feeded this kind of pollen patty: 20% irradiated pollen + 20% soya flour + 60% dry yeast.
C-vitamin + multivitamin.
Total patty content 50% sugar of which 1/3 fructose.

I tried to use apifonda in patty but it made it stone.

I have seen them take 4 gallons over night. Ho hum.

PH

Were they peddling it to the neighbours or trading it in for wax? :) :) :)

At the moment I'm feeding my nucs about a litre every three days - I never did measure the capacity of the frame feeder. The shook swarm is clearing a jumbo rapid feeder 4pints of 2:1 syrup in around one to two days. I went to fill it up this evening and could see all the feelers poking under the cup as if asking when the next syrup delivery was likely to be.

When I worked Heather I extracted from the brood box.

A colony (thinking langstroth here) with a frame of foundation and 8 empty frames plus a frame feeder, will take 4 gallons over night, actually I have seen them do it between 3pm and 10 am so not even 24 hours.

Many do not realise just how fast a colony can work.

PH

Hey, Poly Hive,

How often did you have to re-fill that frame feeder?!!

Never mind the bees, if you were keeping up with just half that 21 colonies, you were busy!!

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
Back