Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

beeboybee 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 + Nucs
i am curious with a solution of 1:1 on a new Nuc or swarm how much wax can they produce is there a direct comparison ?
i am feeding 1:1 on a new nuc that i have put in a brood box with undrawn frames and they must be having a right old party in there, in roughly 24 hours they have used about 3 pints!
:party:

malawi2854 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I was amazed - I put 2 pints of 1:1 syrup on my new nuc on sunday - and the feeder was bone dry yesterday. I could hardly believe it! They do pack it away when it's offered!

I added another 2 pints yesterday... and that's going to have to do them until the weekend... I don't think they'd appreciate being disturbed by me again just yet!

(I should point out - I'm a new beekeeper - so all this is still very new to me!)

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
I have feeded this kind of pollen patty: 20% irradiated pollen + 20% soya flour + 60% dry yeast.
C-vitamin + multivitamin.
Total patty content 50% sugar of which 1/3 fructose.

I tried to use apifonda in patty but it made it stone.

Hombre 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ten
I have seen them take 4 gallons over night. Ho hum.

PH
Were they peddling it to the neighbours or trading it in for wax? :) :) :)

At the moment I'm feeding my nucs about a litre every three days - I never did measure the capacity of the frame feeder. The shook swarm is clearing a jumbo rapid feeder 4pints of 2:1 syrup in around one to two days. I went to fill it up this evening and could see all the feelers poking under the cup as if asking when the next syrup delivery was likely to be.

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
When I worked Heather I extracted from the brood box.

A colony (thinking langstroth here) with a frame of foundation and 8 empty frames plus a frame feeder, will take 4 gallons over night, actually I have seen them do it between 3pm and 10 am so not even 24 hours.

Many do not realise just how fast a colony can work.

PH

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Hey, Poly Hive,

How often did you have to re-fill that frame feeder?!!

Never mind the bees, if you were keeping up with just half that 21 colonies, you were busy!!

Regards, RAB

Last edited: