Wax moth treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommo

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am well aware of the effect Formic Acid has on the varroa mite but I wondered if anyone has any experience on its effect on Greater and Lesser Wax moth in an occupied hive. Also I doubt that trickling Oxalic Acid would have little effect but evaporation might.
Does anyone have any experience of this.

Why would you want to treat wax moth in an occupied hive it really is a very minor pest. If you see a few trails on a frame you can easily hook the offenders out.

I don't particularly, but I was interested to know what effect these chemicals have.
I wouldn't say GWM was a minor pest. If you have had experience of them I don't think you would say that.

Fumigation with MAQS is unlikely to affect wax moth larvae or the adult form due to their size. It is a question of surface area to volume ratio. Varroa are small with a high relative amount of surface area.

I don't particularly, but I was interested to know what effect these chemicals have.
I wouldn't say GWM was a minor pest. If you have had experience of them I don't think you would say that.
I’ve had bees a few decades so rather suspect I’ve had GWM just as long! Strong healthy hives/nucs deal with them In the best part, they are a natural pest and I would think it’s impossible to rid a hive. I’ve never had a hive fail due to them so yes I consider them a minor problem, the biggest issue is stored comb. I suggest if you find a frame with the tell tale trail you simply follow it with the hive tool and remove the culprits. Failing that a neat trick is to rap the frame rapidly with the hive tool edge fairly hard and you’ll bring them wriggling to the surface, warning they often pop out the side you are not watching. And yes it really does work!!

Latest posts

Back