Wax moth love varroa floors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve's bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Here's something I learnt today and I thought I would share it with everyone.
I pulled the tray out on the varroa floor today to see if there was any varroa and to my surprise there was around 40 yes 40 wax moth larvae. I soon realised they were feeding on the wax that had fallen through the mesh. My concern is whatever my hive is sat on the larvae will have a dinner table under the hive. I think I will put them back on solid floors.
Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have a solution to this problem

Don't do it! The tray should only be put in when you're checking for mite fall and left out other than that...

R2

I believe the idea is to leave the slides out Steve,only in when monitoring mite levels or treating. But yes, this area is a breeding ground for wax moths if slides are left in all the time.

It’s a bit high steve only ever seen a few and then when I have left the tray in longer than expected.

Forgot to take one of mine out and they're were loadsa moths just yesterday. Inspecting tomorrow so will see if Steve's right!

R2

I have had the same problem a monitoring board swelled up and became stuck in the varroa floor.
I was only able to remove it with some difficulty when the weather warmed up in spring. Lots of larvae much appreciated by the Robins.

I now intend to shave a bit off the wooden insert before the next treatment.

The monitoring board is just that; you put it in when, and only when you monitor which is for a few of days. All the rest of the time the board is left out. In winter it is even more important to leave the board out as it can reduce the ventilation and so cause damp and mould in the hive.

My concern is whatever my hive is sat on the larvae will have a dinner table under the hive.

That is no concern. There is more than a subtle difference between giving the waxmoth a food source and protection from predators (as the poster has done) and them being on open ground. Wax moth on the ground would likely be predated and be much less of a threat. Not allowing a deep build up of droppings under the hive will help, of course.

RAB

:iagree: with RAB, also make sure grass and weeds are cut right back under the stand.

AND solid floors that aren't cleared out every week will have the debris build up on the inside of the hive and be a home for the caterpillars.

Chris

Here's something I learnt today and I thought I would share it with everyone.
I pulled the tray out on the varroa floor today to see if there was any varroa and to my surprise there was around 40 yes 40 wax moth larvae. I soon realised they were feeding on the wax that had fallen through the mesh. My concern is whatever my hive is sat on the larvae will have a dinner table under the hive. I think I will put them back on solid floors.
Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have a solution to this problem

As Hivemaker, Oliver90 et al experienced have said - tray only in when counting mites 3/4 days.

It's not a varroa floor it's Open Mesh Floor and in correct use as replies show, prevents a dung pile under your bees and gives them ventilation. Brought in and developed by MAFF in early 90s, see ref.

It is a varroa tray however.

http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/kenhomf.html

ESSENTIAL to the health of your bees.

Hope you understand my enthusiasm on the subject of Open Mesh Floors - good for the bees
:hurray:

As a newbie I also left the inspection tray in on one of my hives and on inspecting the tray it had several wax moth larvae on it. However, I didn't recall seeing anythign sinister in the BB. However shoudl I be taking any precautionary measures like treating with 'certan' or is it highly unlikely that the wax moths are inhabiting the BB. Do they largely just live on the floor debris? Now that I'm treating with for Varroa I'm a little concerened because I gather I need to keep the floor closed up for the duration of treatment (4 weeks). Any advice?

I gather I need to keep the floor closed up for the duration of treatment (4 weeks). Any advice?

There is a subtle difference between leaving the slide in for 4 weeks and leaving the detritus there to build up over those 4 weeks. My advice - clean it regularly.

I have open mesh floors. Something that makes me feel uneasy is how on earth do they keep nice and warm with a gaping hole at the bottom allowing drafts into the hive? Especially in winter. I'm thinking of changing to solid floors because I don't think open mesh is all it is cranked up to be.

On the contrary, they are brilliant even in very cold temperatures and howling north east freezing winds.

Chris

I have open mesh floors. Something that makes me feel uneasy is how on earth do they keep nice and warm with a gaping hole at the bottom allowing drafts into the hive? Especially in winter. I'm thinking of changing to solid floors because I don't think open mesh is all it is cranked up to be.

Sorry for the repeated message. I find it hard to see why they would be ok. They must defy physics. I'm pretty sure my central heating would be useless if my house was on stilts with no floor!

Latest posts

Back