Wax moth larvae and ejected brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniegg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I'm a very rusty beekeeper, back to it after a few years break. I found a wax moth larva in my hive today.

Unwelcome but not unexpected as it's a new colony and very small yet.

It's the first time I've found one and co-incidentally the first time I've seen almost formed pupae at the hive entrance. Two (not major, I know)

Waxy not chalky, looked quite fresh and maybe roughly day 12-14 ish stage development.

Do you think the two things are related? I'm just curious as I've never seen pupae thrown out like that before.

the bees usually keep wax moth at bay. I wouldnt be worried about seeing just one. The larvae being thrown out could be chilled or diseased bees dont throw out healthy larvae without a very good reason.

the bees usually keep wax moth at bay. I wouldnt be worried about seeing just one. The larvae being thrown out could be chilled or diseased bees dont throw out healthy larvae without a very good reason.

We already have some colonies evicting/slaughtering the drones and evicting the drone brood. The drones were being dragged, held by the wings and legs, to the door by the workers. I think it a really bad sign for the rest of the season, but they did this two years ago as well and we got a late run so maybe no issues. Maybe you have one up to the same trick?

In my experience there are often the odd larvae dragged out early in the morning and has never been a cause for concern. Like all things in nature there or the odd duff ones, nothings 100% perfect. Usually they have gone before you notice, either dragged away from the hive by the bees themselves or taken by wasps, ants. birds etc. Wav moth shouldn't be a worry in a strong colony either, bees will usually evict them.

Chris

Hi Miniegg,
My hive last year had a few white pupae with large black eyes thrown out August time. Assumed they were surplus drones. Shouldn't worry about that, but do be ware of the wax moth if your colony is weak. Also, if you have not stacked your frames to be used later in an appropriate place/way, July is the hight of the breeding season for wax moth. I have recently witnessed what wax moth does to a stack of supers with frames and it was not a pretty sight - nearly enough to put you off bees!

Thanks all. It's because my colony is tiny that I was worried. I'm afraid I caved in and did a re-visit today but all seemed well.
Interestingly, drones were getting in but not having an easy time of it so it might well have been a drone cull. Small colony, not a huge amount of stores, maybe decided drone brood was surplus to requirements.
Perhaps I've just never happened upon it before, you're right.
(A butterfly did land in the hive whilst I was inspecting it and regretted it, so perhaps the bees would try and fend off a moth. Perhaps it came with the nuc frames).

Latest posts

Back