wax moth hidey holes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but we might have look today, although we have only recently put bees into it. Although we have noticed that there is quite a gap between correx and plastic at the front of the hive (up the side). Our thoughts were a good place for the queen to hide. We have informed Omlet.

Are you letting them know about the holes? We have suggested a single piece Q/X, would be better than two halves and as suspected the bees have propolised it together!

Take the wedge out of old frames , you'll be surprised by the amount of wax moth larvae hiding in there but I'll look at the correx also.

The bee haus utilises a fair amount of correx in it's construction , maybe the Omlet guys should be looking also !

John Wilkinson

Soz gandalfwhitewizard I missed the omlet bit of your post :blush5:

Last edited:
Maybe fill the holes with some type of mastic before putting them together. The SHB traps are made out of the same size of correx as well.

Err, no. The SHB traps I have seen are much smaller section. The beehaus plastic is 8mm stuff.

Regards, RAB

Err, no. The SHB traps I have seen are much smaller section. The beehaus plastic is 8mm stuff.

Regards, RAB

Which means they will have even more space. Not trying to have a go but pointing out that the holes in the correx will allow them to hide.

Craig,

I wasn't thinking that at all. I was just correcting (as far as I know) your misaprehension with regards the sizes. 8mm and 3mm are considerably not the same size.

I have not seen any correx SHB traps of more than the 3mm(?) stuff. It may be out there. But if not, we don't want to be befuddling the beehaus owners amonst us!

Regards, RAB

Taken from FERA site

"Adult beetle anatomy
Adult beetles are oval in shape, 5-7 mm long
and 3-4.5 mm wide"

So with as you say 8mm gaps in the correx sheet plenty of room for waxmoth and SHB when it arrives.
As I said earlier easier to fill the gaps in the ends with some sort of filler/mastic.

Taken from FERA site

"Adult beetle anatomy
Adult beetles are oval in shape, 5-7 mm long
and 3-4.5 mm wide"

So with as you say 8mm gaps in the correx sheet plenty of room for waxmoth and SHB when it arrives.
As I said earlier easier to fill the gaps in the ends with some sort of filler/mastic.
The idea of the 3m/m correx shb traps is that the shb enters can't turn round and apparently can't reverse ergo becomes trapped.

One end is of course blocked up .

John Wilkinson

The ones I used on a day course with FERA were open both ends the beetles hide in them as they like the dark.

Latest posts

Back