Wax moth eggs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikca

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 increasing
Reduced a National BB to 5 frames with insulation to make an inpromptu Nuc.

Weak colony due to the new queen leaving with most of the workers. Emegency queen just in lay - but really tiny colony.

Took out 6 frames: 4 to re-introduce later (fully drawn new comb) and 2 to give back to MJbee (part of my original nuc from last year - bit tired now).

Upon inspecting these old dark combs - found these: would anybody care to confirm my prognosis? I put the nice clean frames in the fridge for now to buy time.- will have to freeze them one at a time due to lack of space in the freezer!

Can't offer any advice re wax moth eggs as I have never seen any (that I know of) but I have seen what I thought were slug eggs.

I have a hive that attracts slugs! The last time I inspected this hive I removed about 10 or 12 slugs of varying size an about 100 or so eggs. I assumed they were slug eggs but now I am not so sure. Look forward to seeing other comments on this.

Does anyone know why the slugs are attracted to this one hive and not the other one next to it? Nor indeed any other hive I have inspected this year.

Is there cobwebby stuff across the cells - often in a straight line?

No other evidence - but it was a full BB until 4 weeks ago. This is early stage - In the absence of definitive advice I might let them hatch in those 2 old frames so we can see what happens!

I did see a moth legging it a few days ago... never seen any slug trails. These are in the middle of frames too - long way to slide?

It's a weak colony at present - will need help with frames of brood as soon as it can sustain the temperature to help it build up for winter. I just didn't want to put back a potential pest on the newer drawn frames I was planning to give them back later. The Freezer should fix that anyway.

Looks like wax moth eggs to me. Too small for most slug eggs I have seen.

Meg

If it isn't wax moth, would you like some of mine?
:biggrinjester:

I dont know what they are but dont worry once she settles down there will be one egg per cell :willy_nilly:

Latest posts

Back