Wax moth damage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What can I do with (lesser) wax moth damaged brood frames?

I had these little monsters visit me this winter after freezing the surplus brood frames and storing them in bags. Somehow they managed to sneak in- probably an unscortched corner of a broodbox. I did not find extended acetic acid fumigation effective in treating them when I found them during late winter.

Will the bees be able to restore these if they are given back? I cannot see that it would be detrimental health wise to them or me. They are only one season old and its a shame to lose them.

I had these little monsters visit me this winter after freezing the surplus brood frames and storing them in bags. Somehow they managed to sneak in- probably an unscortched corner of a broodbox. I did not find extended acetic acid fumigation effective in treating them when I found them during late winter.

Will the bees be able to restore these if they are given back? I cannot see that it would be detrimental health wise to them or me. They are only one season old and its a shame to lose them.

I have the same happen this winter

I'm surprised the acetic acid did not work - ?repeat. Or you could fumigate with sulphur strips - listed in at least one supplier's catalogue.
Richardbees (post above) is a tad optimistic to think you could spot and destroy WM eggs

How long did you have them in the freezer? Try it again and leave for a few days. 80% Acetic acid is not cheap (would be cheaper to refresh frames with new foundation) and can be a hazardous liquid to use at that strength. Sulphur strip fumigation is cheap and fairly effective if done properly but can be a problem if you suffer from Asthma.

I froze it for at least 24h at -25'C in a vacuum sealed freezer. The acetic acid just seemed to have slowed them down; I had it on for one to two weeks. Needless to say the fumes are wicked!
The boxes are definately going into the freezer too this year!:hairpull:

looked on 'search'.. honest. Poly hive - what can repair the wax moth tunnels in the floor

Foam filler. Let it dry, then cut off flush with a knife and then paint over, otherwise the bees will mine it out.

Haven't tried it myself, but that's what I've been advised to do, if needed, by a very experienced local beekeeper who has a huge number of poly hives.

This is a bit of wax moth damage probably the greater wax moth.

ps you should have seen the frames.

Ouch! That is bad - look as if you had a mad carpenter with a gouch visiting.:smash::smash:

Not probably but most definitely Greater WM as lesser doesn't do that to the woodwork

Thankfully not my any of my kit but a friends, he had three supers like this and some of the frames with big holes in them. He said he treated once over the winter but something went wrong big time

I've been using Certan for a while now. Working well for me as I haven't got a suitable freezer.
Cazza

I've been using Certan for a while now. Working well for me as I haven't got a suitable freezer.
Cazza

I've been thinking about using it, what's the best way to apply?

Latest posts

Back