Wax from lint

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Rock

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been using lint to strain wax. Does anyone know how I know clean the lint up for re-use ?

I use dish cloths which I put over a tin with a hole in and solar heat.. Can reuse a few times , removing crud when cold. Dump them after a while. Good results

Weigh it down in a pan of water, with the mucky side of the cloth uppermost. Heat the water until the wax starts to melt and rise to the top, it'll take the other debris with it. Take it off the heat. Let it cool. Collect the wax and muck. Repeat, using clean water each time, until the cloth is clean.

Needs to be a pan you NEVER need for anything else..Been there did that - now just solar melt through a disposable cloth..much less mess.

Heather -

= this will probably sound a bit Benny Hill but does wrapping in fluffy disposable cloth work better than stuffing into the leg of a pair of Sainsbury 'basics range' tights - which is what I currently use?

This has got to be the best year ever for solar wax extractors!

richard

Needs to be a pan you NEVER need for anything else..Been there did that - now just solar melt through a disposable cloth..much less mess.

Agree about the pan, or pans. They'll never be wax free, no matter how much detergent you use.

Some people use lint as a filter when preparing for honey shows.

Richard - I think a double layer of tights is better than a j-cloth type fabric, but everybody has a different way of doing things.

Not a fluffy disposable :hairpull:- but a meshed cotton one. No fluff- but cheap and so dump when necessary

Rich bitch, I can afford to buy dishcloths in bulk....

Tights ok- but seen someone use blue ones- ended up with lovely pale green wax :rofl:

Back