Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

iombeeman 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
ask in the spring (30+)
why don`t you make some mead?wash the cappings in water,honey water,add some yeast and wait......................... and wait a bit more...................
you get the idea.

Queens59 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
My apologies - I went and dragged the jars from the back of the cupboard today and tried all three :D Nasty job but someone had to do it!!

1. Vodka - Please leave in a dark room with appropriate glass - easy chair and ME!

2. Rum - Needed more honey - but OH thinks 'OK' - high praise indeed...

3. Whisky - Roll on winter. I shall DEF. be making this again...So I do owe apologies for my initial reaction - it is indeed worth doing...and I shall;)

Oh - and does anyone have a paracetamol?

Toffeesmum 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My apologies - I went and dragged the jars from the back of the cupboard today and tried all three :D Nasty job but someone had to do it!!

1. Vodka - Please leave in a dark room with appropriate glass - easy chair and ME!

2. Rum - Needed more honey - but OH thinks 'OK' - high praise indeed...

3. Whisky - Roll on winter. I shall DEF. be making this again...So I do owe apologies for my initial reaction - it is indeed worth doing...and I shall;)

Oh - and does anyone have a paracetamol?
Bug*er me woman... drinking all that BEFORE Beer O'clock aka 18h00??? Fair play. Let me know when you're on your next bender and I'll pop round ;-)

:cheers2:

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Beekeeping seems to be a good reason to become alcoholic.
When you have some remains,soak them into alcohol.

Has somebody tried drone larvae and vodka with some mites?
It is good because propably you may drink it alone.

If you share a bottle with several people, no one has fun.
But if only one drinks the whole bottle, every one has fun.

Last edited:

Outlander 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
12 14x12 hives. 2 standard nationals and 8 14x12 nucs.
Bug*er me woman... drinking all that BEFORE Beer O'clock aka 18h00??? Fair play. Let me know when you're on your next bender and I'll pop round ;-)

:cheers2:
It's always 18h??? Somewhere in the world.

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
As I see it, it just needs a little thought of what is going on.

Brooded cappings might not be the best recipe for success. It is simply a matter of dissolving the sugar from the honey into the liqueur. Liqueurs are typically about 20-25% ABV (Alcohol By Volume). Vodka @ 37.5% diluted with cappings can soon drop the ABV to a quite low level. Toffeesmum is unlikly to be buggered by any other female. Etc, etc.

Now down to basics. Wax is fairly insoluble in 25% ABV, so dissolution is the name of the game, not steeping. 25% sugar might be fairly typical of a liqueur, so ratios need to be checked out.

All this leads me to think some of these concoctions are ill-thought out.

With a water still and some fermented medium, it is easy to produce much higher ABVs than required. Technically illegal but unstoppable (and not really effective) for action by Her Majesties Customs And Exercises, this practice seems common (reading the home distiller's forum), so for the home producer there are umpteen opportunities to do better than just steeping cappings in expensive bought-in vodka.

I reckon clean cappings are better used as a starting point for mead, not for liqueurs. Buy a hydrometer and get fermenting.

RAB

Queens59 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I draw the curtains when on a bender or the neighbours appear!! ;)

Toffeesmum 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Lol you pair are funny!!! Anyway Oliver... thank you, but too late, and hick it tastes lovely already... was only to try for a bit of fun... and Queens59, neighbours are only jealous!!

Queens59 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Lol you pair are funny!!! Anyway Oliver... thank you, but too late, and hick it tastes lovely already... was only to try for a bit of fun... and Queens59, neighbours are only jealous!!
Not jealous - GREEDY...they can drink me under the table...I am told I am a cheap date :D My Mum gets giggly after 1/4 inch of Pimms in a tumbler of lemonade!

Malou 

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I did - I had quite a few cappings last year so put in bottles with assorted spirits...vodka/whisky and rum. So far not impressed - have added numerous amounts of honey - but it still tastes non-descript...was going to ask what I had done wrong actually...
Hi, I am very much interested in this, may I know how you did this or the reference for this. Thank you so much.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi, I am very much interested in this, may I know how you did this or the reference for this. Thank you so much.
Easy. Fill a jar with wet cappings. Add spirit to top. Leave for a day or so then strain.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Whisky and heather pressings might be nice

DaveS 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
We make 2 versions of honey vodka; basic honey and vodka and a version honey, ginger and a bit of lemon. We have used cappings in the past but it is hard to get all the vodka out and feels a waste!

smok 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
then now I know,why I join beekeeping.
finaly I know what to do with leftover after honey harvest 🤩

Latest posts