Wax capping vodka - anyone done this??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toffeesmum

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Whilst looking at what to do with my jug full of sticky cappings following my first ever extraction, I found a thread on here about using vodka to make an interesting honey flavoured tipple (for own consumption of course!)

Question - have you done this? I guess its just the case of 'steeping' the cappings in a bottle of vodka, then straining, using the wax as normal, but the resulting vodka is flavoured and yummy.

Any tips??

Hick

I did - I had quite a few cappings last year so put in bottles with assorted spirits...vodka/whisky and rum. So far not impressed - have added numerous amounts of honey - but it still tastes non-descript...was going to ask what I had done wrong actually...

I did - I had quite a few cappings last year so put in bottles with assorted spirits...vodka/whisky and rum. So far not impressed - have added numerous amounts of honey - but it still tastes non-descript...was going to ask what I had done wrong actually...

What quantities/proportions did you use?

I'd been thinking in terms of several tablespoons of honey (so more than a bottleful of cappings) to a bottle of spirits ... and only mix/wash for the minimum time -- unlike say sloe gin. And you can say that again!

Whilst looking at what to do with my jug full of sticky cappings following my first ever extraction, I found a thread on here about using vodka to make an interesting honey flavoured tipple (for own consumption of course!)

Question - have you done this? I guess its just the case of 'steeping' the cappings in a bottle of vodka, then straining, using the wax as normal, but the resulting vodka is flavoured and yummy.

Any tips??

Hick

I have done it with cheap rum and cheap vodka.

I did it the other day –*£10 bottle of vodka from Aldi and they're soaking away now.

Steep them for at least a few days or a week, stirring occasionally and then drain, strain and bottle.

It is DELICIOUS.

Queens,

Maybe you are better at removing the cappings than I. But I had cappings from about 2.5 supers in an ice cream tub, bottle of vodka in and just keep things moving to release and dissolve the honey.

Once you have separated the cappings from the vodka (I strained through kitchen roll), you will have very clean wax (once rinsed) and rich honey flavoured spirit.

What quantities/proportions did you use?

I'd been thinking in terms of several tablespoons of honey (so more than a bottleful of cappings) to a bottle of spirits ... and only mix/wash for the minimum time -- unlike say sloe gin. And you can say that again!

Steep them. Leave them in for a good old soak, agitate them and let it all mix.

Thanks everyone, off to the local supermarket in the morning then it is. Scary thing is, I was only in there last week buying 3 own brand bottles of vodka to make some Cassis from my bumper crop of blackcurrants. What will they think??!! The shame of it, hick!

Vodka in all forms is good.

Here is carlic vodka recipe for festivals.

- a bottle of cheapest vodka (our favoriote is pulp factori alcohol)

- crush 20 carlic nails and put them into bottle
- let it ferment 6 months.

And what good is in that:

- you get at the very beginning an old alcohol taste to your mouth and your odor is like at the end of festivals. So top feeling from very beginning.

I put 1/2 - 3/4 bottle of cappings to a 75cl bottle of said spirits and left them for about a month, strained and little taste - horrid, so added 2-3 tbsp. to each bottle, rebottled - and still doesn't taste great...This was last Autumn...and they are still in the cupboard and non-descript...

It shouldn't need any time to 'mature'.
Just to dissolve the honey.
All its about is washing honey off the cappings. In a worthwhile way.

You should be able to simulate (and predict) the result by just stirring some honey into the booze.

If you leave the alcohol in contact with wax for a long time, you will dissolve some propolis (if there's any there at all) - and that is an "acquired taste"... !

I put 1/2 - 3/4 bottle of cappings to a 75cl bottle of said spirits and left them for about a month, strained and little taste - horrid...

Sounds very much like the vanilla vodka I made - awful! I'm too tight-fisted to throw it away, so maybe it could be rescued if I added some honey?

In Croatia, where my wife is from this is a traditional tipple. And it tastes fab.
They use plum brandy (Rackija) not sure that's the correct spelling but ou can buy it in the UK and it might taste better.
Personally I love it!

Vodka in all forms is good.

Here is carlic vodka recipe for festivals.

- a bottle of cheapest vodka (our favoriote is pulp factori alcohol)

- crush 20 carlic nails and put them into bottle
- let it ferment 6 months.

And what good is in that:

- you get at the very beginning an old alcohol taste to your mouth and your odor is like at the end of festivals. So top feeling from very beginning.

Is that garlic cloves, Finman?

I put 1/2 - 3/4 bottle of cappings to a 75cl bottle of said spirits and left them for about a month, strained and little taste - horrid, so added 2-3 tbsp. to each bottle, rebottled - and still doesn't taste great...This was last Autumn...and they are still in the cupboard and non-descript...

It's all about agitation, Queens. Or as I said, you didn't have much honey on your cappings.

Well, I've been to the local supermarket and bought some white rum (thought if Capt Morg*an can make spiced honey rum, so can I). Have put cappings and pint rum in kilner jar, in conservatory for couple days, then hick hick. Not sure what spices to add (once strained of course) and maybe some vanilla. Whatever, hick hick.

Heavens know what re-cycling men will think next week with all the hard liquor bottles!!

OMG - garlic??? - if so, yukky, I'll pass on that. Nothing against garlic (its the future you know) or vodka, but together??? That's like an onion trifle!!

Mmmmmmm...onion trifle.

Latest posts

Back