waterproof membrane around winter hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John R

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
Hi,
Has or does anyone wrap the sides of their hives in winter with a breathable but waterproof fabric? I'm not trying to open a debate about insulation, there's lots of that discussed previously, I just want to hear views on this aspect which i hope would keep water out of the 2 x 14x12's BB that i overwinter my hives in.
I'm not confusing water ingress with condensation, I can't afford to change my hives, they are also in good condition so why should i, I'm simply thinking that a dry hive has got to be better, and using a wrap of the fabric roofing membrane that is breathable and waterproof will give me peace of mind?

I don't see how it can do any harm, I'm not talking about using bubble wrap or plastic sheet which I think could build up the condensation levels.:thanks:

If your hives are newish and in good condition - I am confused as to why water would get in?

Hi,
Has or does anyone wrap the sides of their hives in winter with a breathable but waterproof fabric? I'm not trying to open a debate about insulation, there's lots of that discussed previously, I just want to hear views on this aspect which i hope would keep water out of the 2 x 14x12's BB that i overwinter my hives in.
I'm not confusing water ingress with condensation, I can't afford to change my hives, they are also in good condition so why should i, I'm simply thinking that a dry hive has got to be better, and using a wrap of the fabric roofing membrane that is breathable and waterproof will give me peace of mind?

I don't see how it can do any harm, I'm not talking about using bubble wrap or plastic sheet which I think could build up the condensation levels.:thanks:

so you are really thinking about a "tent" around hive...
if you do it leave agap between the hive and the fabric or another fabric that spaces it off a bit...
it will make a difference particularly if the site is exposed.
I dont think breathable is neccessary if you space it off the hive and make it shaped so condensation runs down the inside of the "tent".
having stayed in such a thing camped in the snow I can vouch that it does work.

An alternative to a new hive is this:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
There will be 100% humidity inside and no wind.
Bees will become sick there.

I've seen brick paper used in the past, there's a modern equivalent these days it would protect the gap between the box's from driving rain.
We just use Duct tape as a sealer, if they've been on the heather or near pine trees they usually have an effective seal built themselves with propolis. We use the duct tape if we reverse the box's.
I assume you want to protect against driving rain? Brick paper is something you find the Americans using best to wait until they get up you might get some sensible reply's.

You should have no need to worry about rain getting in, if your hives are "fit for purpose".

If you have a particularly exposed site, you are a prime candidate for a poly hive!

Draping the hive in plastic sheeting is one recommended defence against woodpecker damage.
However unless well ventilated, you will find that the space below becomes a prime site for mould growth.

Vapour permeable membrane should reduce that problem.
I've used Tyvek Enercor waterproof (but vapour permeable) roofing membrane as woodpecker defence without gross mould (did get a bit of blackening here and there on the cedar...).
I had some offcuts. Its good in the house roof!
Try asking on building sites where there's roof work being done - summer is a good time to go looking! You might pick up some Celotex (or similar) foil-faced foam insulation board at the same time!

Woodpeckers only appear here in town in really prolonged cold weather. So I'm now happy just to rig up something with netting as and when, rather than a 'permanent' barrier at the beginning of winter.

Thanks for this answer, and the others that answered the question i posed, I like the idea of the roofing Tyvek type solution, and will give it a go, also liked the case around a hive made in silver. i know that there are people on this site that tend to have very set views on things, and others are more open to try different things, so you use your common sense to chosse between the two, knowing someone will also say you're doing it wrong.......!

However unless well ventilated, you will find that the space below becomes a prime site for mould growth.

If the condensation can run down the inside without touching the wood you wont get mould. This is because you won't have the water and food (wood) together.

If you think they need a double skin (for whatever reason), think wbc and make it out of wood

If you present hive lets water in, get a new hive!

If you think they need a double skin (for whatever reason),

Pete says it clearly: why douple skin

How to protect hive against rain:

- wooden box wihich is painted
- polystyrene need painting to to protect the palstic

- rain water cover

- stand that hive does not lay on ground

So do human houses...

Latest posts

Back