Watercolour

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lois

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 colonies now! and some spare parts.
For those that saw the thread about beware bee hives sign, I said I would like to do a painting of one and here is my progress. I hope you like..

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

and the last one so far, I will just have to put the bees in!!:biggrinjester:

picture.php

That is great Lois, I can't draw, and I'm useless at painting ( unless it's painting a room lol )

Well done, I saw the first sketch in the albums section and was looking forward to seeing more.

I have finished it, hooray. I really enjoyed painting it. I hope you like it as well. If any one wants to copy and print it please feel free to do so but please don't sell it! If you publish it to a web page please credit me. If you want to give me £3000 for the original thats also fine!:biggrinjester::sifone:

picture.php

Nice work,I did wonder if the white blobs would become bees or you had dripped some paint.

It's lovely :) Interesting to see it come together. I think the few times I've tried painting, I've tried to make it look finished as I go.....so that's why my efforts look so bad lol :)

This is an old thread I know but I went to visit my friend and she showed me her small holders magazine and in it was a swarm collection service using my painting as part of their advert! So, I phoned the number to speak to the owner of the business. I asked him how he'd got it and he said it was from here. He hadn't really credited me on his advert but it was only small.
I'm not too bothered about him using it for a small advert but not if it's used on all his adverts and business cards, that's not really what I gave permission for, especially as he admitted he doesn't really visit here anymore!

Should I be upset? Discuss.

Up to you really as to if you should be upset or not,the picture looks to me like something a five year old would paint.

Well, thank you Hivemaker! You do realise that's not a compliment don't you?

You should send him an invoice for the use of your work.

I have a photographer friend who regularly sends invoices fr stolen work and gets good results too!

i like your picture louis:) and it dosent matter what others think it is yours and you should be given credit for it especialy if someone is using it to advertise ther bisines they are gaining work because of you so you should get the recognition and royaties ;)

RESPECT!

despite other family members (fraternal) dabbling with watercolours i've never been able to do it.

something about the aspie side of me i think.

hands up who carefully "painted" the water into the various bits of their rupert annual colouring pages and who just applied a wash over everything. same effing result after all.

BTW showing my age there!!!! (anyone else have either the original 1946 or 1960 ruperts????? not available as reprints for obvious reasons)

Last edited:
I like the painting, water colours are a medium that is not appreciated by everyone but so is the Tate art galley in London personally the paintings there look like they have been done by persons heavily under the influence of alcohol or drugs. keep up the good work and I challenge anyone who can do better

This is an old thread I know but I went to visit my friend and she showed me her small holders magazine and in it was a swarm collection service using my painting as part of their advert! So, I phoned the number to speak to the owner of the business. I asked him how he'd got it and he said it was from here. He hadn't really credited me on his advert but it was only small.
I'm not too bothered about him using it for a small advert but not if it's used on all his adverts and business cards, that's not really what I gave permission for, especially as he admitted he doesn't really visit here anymore!

Should I be upset? Discuss.

Will being upset do any good?

The person who used your painting has obviously infringed your copyright. If you don't tell him that he does not have your permission to use it and then he uses it more widely, or maybe is using it more widely already, should you decide to take legal action there may be an effect on your case. I thought your earlier statement made it very clear that no one should use the painting to make profit.
I would find out either an email or postal address and send a written warning.
I don,t agree with Hivemaker in his assessment of the artwork, but you might have overpriced it by a few thousand. Never the less business users of artwork can expect to pay a premium for the right to use, or even commission illustrations for use. even as a poor sole trader just starting out he should have had the manners to ask your permission. After all we could all be millionairs if we never had to pay for the labour of others:auto:

Will being upset do any good?

The person who used your painting has obviously infringed your copyright. If you don't tell him that he does not have your permission to use it and then he uses it more widely, or maybe is using it more widely already, should you decide to take legal action there may be an effect on your case. I thought your earlier statement made it very clear that no one should use the painting to make profit.
I would find out either an email or postal address and send a written warning.
I don,t agree with Hivemaker in his assessment of the artwork, but you might have overpriced it by a few thousand. Never the less business users of artwork can expect to pay a premium for the right to use, or even commission illustrations for use. even as a poor sole trader just starting out he should have had the manners to ask your permission. After all we could all be millionairs if we never had to pay for the labour of others:auto:

Did she not give permission for people to copy and print the image in #4, so long as it’s not being sold? It was used in a quartly small holders news letter offering Free Swarm Collections, no money charged for their time.

Also I have seen this image available for free use on labels at Mo dern Beek eepings web site. I’m sure some people might sell honey with a label on the jar, for money and not free....

Up to you really as to if you should be upset or not,the picture looks to me like something a five year old would paint.

Pete
You having an 'off' day? Not nice! :rolleyes:

Thank you all for your comments, even hivemakers!:biggrinjester:

I've been in touch with the beekeeper and hopefully we have sorted out our differences in a really acceptable way.

My new post didn't come across in the way I intended and I hate to upset anyone.

I will try to make it clear now:bigear::)

You may print this picture for your own personal use. (beekeepers)
You may not sell the image/print to anyone.
You may use it in an advert to advertise your services.
You may use it in your website but please acknowledge that I painted the original!
Please don't use it as your own personal logo without clearing it with me first.

Any other uses please contact me first, usually I will just ask you to make a small donation to Great Ormond Street or RNLI, charities that I support.

I wish I could type in a way that my head thinks! It often comes out like gobbledygook.

Ok?

Back