water spray vs smoke

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
Having been a "smoker" for 15 years, I felt it was time to give water spray a try.
Things didn't go too well so perhaps you "sprayers" could give me some tips so when I try again my experience is a happier one?
I decided to try something not too invasive so opened up a hive to check the top super. Normally I would give a teeny puff in the entrance and then take off the quilt on the super and smoke a little if needed.
I used a fine spray with just water. Should I use peppermint oil?
I took off the quilt without problems but when I attempted to lift out a frame the bees were not happy. Usually a puff settles everyone down. Water spray didn't really work as well. There was veil pinging and generally irritable behaviour which is not normally a feature of this hive.
I wonder if I'd tried on a sunnier day I might have had a better experience? It was warm but overcast with a threat of rain. Perhaps they'd have been irritable even with smoke.
I will try this again but any tips would be appreciated.
Cazza

Hi I used a spayer first time this year ok when still only on 6/ 7 frames but after that I needed smoke to clear when closing up I did add a spoonful of sugar .
But still a smoker , hard to give up

Grub

3 Hives and generally don't smoke, they don't like it and get "ratty"

A bit of sugar water I find is good when collecting a swarm.

Last inspection I gave them a sprinkle of icing sugar, they seemed a bit miffed about that, which was unusual.

Women, what would we do without them?:biggrinjester:

I do use a little peppermint oil in ours. A warm sunny day would of course be the best....when there's a flow, no wasps, no wind etc etc.

I have 2 colonies that dont like a lot of smoke. I smoke the entrance before opening them up, but thereafter, I just use a water spray. If I use too much smoke, the bees get really miffed. I have other colonies that dont react much to water at all, so I need to use smoke throughout the inspection. I tend not to use smoke on nucs and mininucs, but might use water spray a bit. I havent tried putting sugar or peppermint in the sprayer though. I might try this.

What`s that liquid smoke like that you get with an Omlette ?

supposed to work well, but do you really want to use another chemical in your hive?

Not really, just didin`t know anything about it apart from the name.

You don't want to go pumping more chemicals in your hives Darren....smoke..water..clorine peppermint and lord knows what else is plenty enough.

You don't want to go pumping more chemicals in your hives Darren....smoke..water..clorine peppermint and lord knows what else is plenty enough.

That`s what makes everyones honey so individual :D

Do you have any vanilla flavour....or salt a vinigar:smilielol5:

I`m working on it for next year. That Chlorine + Peppermint one you mentioned sounds nice and refreshing. Have you got one of your special recipies you could post :drool5:

Ah, our water isn't chlorinated nor passed through assorted people through it's life: it's bottled on the next hill and sold for a price. Though we don't always have enough because of that (read as we value it as a limited and precious resource...or it sometimes runs out).

Ah, our water isn't chlorinated nor passed through assorted people through it's life: it's bottled on the next hill and sold for a price. Though we don't always have enough because of that (read as we value it as a limited and precious resource...or it sometimes runs out).

You sure its not full of sheeps piss though...lol

I am very new to keeping and I use the omlet beehaus which I really find easy to use but the liquid smoke does the job but it makes a heck of a mess and also I wonder how long does it make for the hive to stop sensing it? Do they feast on the honey longer as it stays as a residue long after the time smoker is gone, I am concidering moving over to a smoker next time but I dont want to change too much too soon whilst I am learning.

Are we agreed that I should:

Add peppermint
Smoke the entrance, then switch to the spray?

Anything else?

Cazza

What`s that liquid smoke like that you get with an Omlette ?

It may be the same or similar to the liquid Smoke (made from a concentrate which is edible to humans) sold by Th*rne.

Never tried it.

Regards, RAB

In the past I have tried all sorts of techniques to calm bees, water spray works ok if the bees are a good mood but I find that it stops them in their tracks and doesn't really move them out of the way when you re-assemble the hive. If they turn a little spiky then you have to light the smoker in a hurry. :willy_nilly:

Good, cool smoke is hard to beat (rotten dry wood), if a smoker is used correctly, I believe no harm is done.

Enzo

Latest posts

Back