water in Abelo solved

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MC can't see a problem many others can, didn't 'correct' pargyle just offered an opinion. I agree with pargyle, not good, if rain can get in heat can get out. It's not the first time I've read about a trough of water under the lugs
No good/ not good - it hardly matters. Similarly, my point was that the water in the gullies weren't a problem. Certainly not to the bees.
It does matter Kitta ... I suggested that it is something that detracts from the performance of a hive - I didn't suggest that it rendered it usless ... there is a difference. Now don't go painting yourself into a corner or you will have everyone thinking that they should be filling up the lug gutters with water every time they crack the crownboard or putting matchsticks between the boxes to let the rain in.. Clearly, in your experience, the bees like it ....isn't that what you meant by 'the bees don't mind' ?

It does matter Kitta ... I suggested that it is something that detracts from the performance of a hive - I didn't suggest that it rendered it usless ... there is a difference.
What you said, and what I responded to, was ‘no good’ or ‘not good’ (whichever) - nothing about ‘detraction from the performance of a hive’ - whatever that means. The rest is baffling waffle.

MC can't see a problem many others can, didn't 'correct' pargyle just offered an opinion. I agree with pargyle, not good, if rain can get in heat can get out. It's not the first time I've read about a trough of water under the lugs
Yes Swarm. Pargyle reached a verdict based on an opinion - yours. I said nothing else about you. Agree away. That’s fine.

On the advice of a staff member from Abelo I tried the petroleum jelly on the edges at the end of the season but still seemed to be getting water ingress into the brood boxes.

They new roofs are badly designed but the new improved crown boards seems to have driven demand for the product hence why its still on sale.

The problem I have is if I'm going to continue to use the new roofs I already own I'm going to have to go and notch every brood box that I have to make sure everything is compatible.

On the advice of a staff member from Abelo I tried the petroleum jelly on the edges at the end of the season but still seemed to be getting water ingress into the brood boxes.
That's probably because it's not rain seeping in, but condensation.

They new roofs are badly designed but the new improved crown boards seems to have driven demand for the product hence why its still on sale.

The problem I have is if I'm going to continue to use the new roofs I already own I'm going to have to go and notch every brood box that I have to make sure everything is compatible.

I don't have a new roof. Are they badly designed because they don't cover the top of broodboxes? So, what about the other boxes on the hive during summer, or overwintering on double brood? Doesn't water accumulate there too?

Don't worry about water in the gullies. It's not a problem. The bees aren't drowning in it, and it's drinking water for them. But if it worries you - start cutting notches in the lug risers.

There is a floor in the design as rain water does pool in the gullies. Other than that issue very happy with the abelo hives.

Maybe the water is why I get less problems with slugs in my abelo hives compared to the Payne's polyhives?

That's probably because it's not rain seeping in, but condensation.

Abelo openly admit on their website that it is indeed water ingress. I have had the new shallow roofs on the same pallet alongside the deep style roofs; the shallow roofs have pools of water whereas the deeps are bone dry. I don't believe it to be condensation.

Abelos Website said:
Sometimes there is water ingress in the runners of the boxes, because the two plastic surfaces are not watertight and plastic cannot absorb water like wood. This is normal and if found a problem can easily be rectified by smearing a good amount of Vaseline on the top of the plastic runners to create a watertight seal between boxes

I don't have a new roof. Are they badly designed because they don't cover the top of broodboxes? So, what about the other boxes on the hive during summer, or overwintering on double brood? Doesn't water accumulate there too?

Don't worry about water in the gullies. It's not a problem. The bees aren't drowning in it, and it's drinking water for them. But if it worries you - start cutting notches in the lug risers.

I've never ran a double brood hive over winter so I have no experience of whether the water pools in the lower box. The poor design comes from the fact that they don't carry out the basic functionality of a roof ie they don't keep the hive dry. I'd guess the deeper roof does offer more protection in a lower brood box as the water will drop off the edge of the roof and not run down the side of the hive.

The "fix" that Abelo offers; I'm even sure about in that I've tried it; still get pools of water and I assume it's not the best source of water for the bees to drink mixed with petroleum jelly.

Had a trough of water under the lugs when the only source possible is condensation... (welded aluminium roof covering roof body joint)
Had water sealing a small lid to body gap preventing the egress of warm air. i.e. the meniscus overcoming the buoyancy pressure

Besides, I think it's mostly condensation. It does not affect the bees.
Water in Abelo gullies is new to me and I thought it was condensation, but the quantity coincided with periods of recent heavy rain and wind and the evidence points the other way.

I'd agree that it's not really going to affect bees; winter work with a fine saw will resolve the issue.

Water in Abelo gullies is new to me and I thought it was condensation, but the quantity coincided with periods of recent heavy rain and wind and the evidence points the other way.

I'd agree that it's not really going to affect bees; winter work with a fine saw will resolve the issue.
ERR ...wind and rain cause increased condensation - because of increased heat loss.
DEFINITIVE NON DESTRUCTIVE TEST - ally foil tape over join.

ERR ...wind and rain cause increased condensation - because of increased heat loss.
DEFINITIVE NON DESTRUCTIVE TEST - ally foil tape over join.
Maybe that’s the answer.
I have old style Abelos and Swienty and I don’t get water in the gullies so something is different about them.

well...all my Abelo's are new versions - 8 of them...all have had water filling the channels and i have often tipped it out (during summer) believing it to be condensation collecting..and have posted on here for any similar experience or tips

I contacted them as was ordering some more and wondered if it was known to them

they said 'yes, rain can get in and fill channels' and advised me to cut notches in teh ends to let it drain out, as i will...the new boxes came with these notches already cut

otherwise, very happy with them and prefer to the Maises polys

if the deeper, overhanging roof prevent this, i'd probably swap out the roof

Latest posts

Back