water in Abelo solved

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i had posted this a couple of times thinking it must be condensation and hadn't found the answer

it turns out water does get in and collect in the channels under frame ends

suggestion was to cut a notch at the end of the channel to let water (it is rain water) out and exit the hive

new boxes come with this notch already cut out

How does the water get in?

The upper and lower rims of the Abelo boxes are hard plastic (not poly), so cannot absorb water (like wood can), or squish together to block rain (like poly can). As such, driving rain can make its way into the cracks between the boxes.

In addition, the new model national hive comes with a roof that does not overlap the box below, but sits on top of it, creating another join that rain can attack.

I haven't used my Abelo in anger yet though, so I don't know how bad a problem this is in practice.

The upper and lower rims of the Abelo boxes are hard plastic (not poly), so cannot absorb water (like wood can), or squish together to block rain (like poly can). As such, driving rain can make its way into the cracks between the boxes.

In addition, the new model national hive comes with a roof that does not overlap the box below, but sits on top of it, creating another join that rain can attack.

I haven't used my Abelo in anger yet though, so I don't know how bad a problem this is in practice.
I have two Abelo old model hives but have not experienced the problems......yet
Thanks for your reply.

If one disturbs the seal/joint once it has been propolised then the bees may not always reseal it late on. To date not had any issues with my Abelo poly's and water ingress.

I have the old style boxes. No inclination to get the new ones either.
The deep roofs are good on wooden hives too

If one disturbs the seal/joint once it has been propolised then the bees may not always reseal it late on.
True, and once disturbed it's best to clean rims of hard propolis: the variable levels between it and clean sections of a rim are like a mountain range: water will get in and heat will leave.

Seen this poor seal with wood as well, whether boxes have bees inside or empty and stacked in the open (once was enough to discover the water and the grey combs). I empty the propolis scrapings on to the top bars for bees to re-use.

Blimey that's not good is it ? I never get any signs of rain getting in to my Paynes polys ...
Rain does not get into Abelos. The gutter behind the lug risers filling with water is more likely condensation from walls that could not escape, and if rain managed to creep in, it wouldn’t have got much further than the gully. The new notch cut into the lug risers should solve that problem - not that I ever thought of it as a problem.

Rain does not get into Abelos. The gutter behind the lug risers filling with water is more likely condensation from walls that could not escape, and if rain managed to creep in, it wouldn’t have got much further than the gully. The new notch cut into the lug risers should solve that problem - not that I ever thought of it as a problem.
#post 5 :-

"The upper and lower rims of the Abelo boxes are hard plastic (not poly), so cannot absorb water (like wood can), or squish together to block rain (like poly can). As such, driving rain can make its way into the cracks between the boxes.

In addition, the new model national hive comes with a roof that does not overlap the box below, but sits on top of it, creating another join that rain can attack. "

I didn't say it did .... I was responding to the post ....

Yes, you replied to an opinion and, as a result, dismissed Abelo hives as no good. I corrected that. Some seeping of water into the gully is hardly a, 'Blimey that's no good' issue. Besides, I think it's mostly condensation. It does not affect the bees.

There have been lots of posts on Facebook complaining of lots of water with lugs swimming in it. People have been cutting their own notches and tilting hives forwards. I never have that sort of condensation in my poly boxes.

Yes, you replied to an opinion and, as a result, dismissed Abelo hives as no good. I corrected that. Some seeping of water into the gully is hardly a, 'Blimey that's no good' issue. Besides, I think it's mostly condensation. It does not affect the bees.

Try again Kitta ... you might want to go to Specsavers .... what I said was 'Blimey, that' s NOT good ... I didn;'t say they were NO good.

Any hive that appears to leak when it rains has to have some design flaw as the last thing you want inside your hive is rainwater. There clearly is a problem if they have to have a notch cut in to allow water to drain away ...

There have been lots of posts on Facebook complaining of lots of water with lugs swimming in it. People have been cutting their own notches and tilting hives forwards. I never have that sort of condensation in my poly boxes.
Precisely, beat me to it .... Doesn't sound like condensation in that sort of volume ...

No good/ not good - it hardly matters. Similarly, my point was that the water in the gullies weren't a problem. Certainly not to the bees.

MC can't see a problem many others can, didn't 'correct' pargyle just offered an opinion. I agree with pargyle, not good, if rain can get in heat can get out. It's not the first time I've read about a trough of water under the lugs

Latest posts

Back