Water Content

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midland Beek

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Lots of stuff on the max water content of honey on the internet, but I have never seen anything from Trading Standards or anyone else giving us hobbyist/side-line beeks a definitive figure.

Is it up to us to guess?

Does a max of 20% sound about right? Not talking about heather honey here.

Are you quoting anyone Hivemaker? Like Trading Standards or Food Standards Agency.

And RAB, I think the figure I am looking for is the one that will rule out any possible fermentation, regardless of the origin of the honey.

In that case I would be in agreement with HM

There is, of course about 1/2 %, (or more) uncertainty, with the accuracy of any simple determination.....

Regards, RAB

No not quoting anyone,just from experiance that honey of 18% or less has never fermented in my own experiance,over this % then it can, and often does ferment if not stored or treated right. 20% is the legal requirement,but often honey of this high a moisture content has been pasteurized/heated to prevent fermentation.Plenty of imformation on moisture content/fermentation on google.

And the winner is ... Hivemaker with his recommendation of 18%.

The lucky winner will receive 300lb of solidified honey in the comb.

And anyone who might like to try some of my honey, it's available at all good Hiigh Street retailers. Well, one Farm Shop, actually.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back