Watch Out For Early Swarms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosquito

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
:svengo:My hive is now full of brood.
Only the outside frames have no Brood. (11 frames Hive comercial)
Never had 18 frames of brood this early.:svengo:
And been hearing of a few swarms down south already.

Get ready for Early Swarms.:nature-smiley-005:

...and fingers crossed I catch one, he he he!!!

Yes, they are all kicking off, as i am possibly about to find out myself.

My neighbours bees swarmed today (North Devon). They didn`t hang around very long and had moved on within the hour and we missed them :(

I have just had to do a 3 way split from a double national.the queen cells (5+) had already been capped and more getting ready to be capped!

A 10 day spell of cool, wet and windy weather ended last week and gave me the chance to go through my colonies.
Shock horror two of them had swarm cells:ack2: one about 20 the other 8. Before I could get the necessary gear together they BOTH swarmed, fortunately into fairly accessible places so I was able to collect both and hive them on nice new foundation with a gallon of syrup each to keep them happy. I have reduced the queen cells in the original colonies to one and peace has been restored. It was a hectic couple of hours though and shows the benefit of having frames made up and brood boxes ready.
18 April is the earliest swarm I have ever had - anyone had an earlier one?

Is it me, or is this spring quite a sudden accelerated one? I don't have bees yet but my allotment has come on in no time in the last 2 weeks.

It aint you Baggyone - this year has been at least 6 weeks ahead of last year. So far this year as previously posted I've had 2 swarms, increased my number of colonies by 100%, extracted a full super (20lbs) and have 7+ queens due to hatch tomorrow - Amazing. I love it

Looks like it's going to be a good year for honey.
Hoping to beat my 2007 record of 176lb honey from 1 hive.
Going to do an Artificial Swarm in a few weeks time.
But stopping them swarming again is not going to be easy this year.:boxing_smiley:

I was going to ask if anyone has heard of swarms being reported in Staffordshire, but I've just realised that I've not seen any bee's yet!

Any sightings around here, anyone?

John

But stopping them swarming again is not going to be easy this year.:boxing_smiley:

This is the first time i have had colonies going into Spring, christ i did not expect anything like this, all 4 hives needed splitting, and that was over 10days ago, we have yet to start May, when the swarming impulse is "supposed" to kick off.

We could possibly have another 6 weeks plus of this.

Hectic but great fun - wonder what my hive count will be when they have finished - possibly trebled.:)

Most of the colonies at one of my sites have now been artificially swarmed whereas at the other site still no sign or swarming preparations yet. Plan to unite with young queen if and when mating occurs.

Peter

Hectic but great fun - wonder what my hive count will be when they have finished - possibly trebled.:)

Are you hoping to rewcombine at some point Grizzly? When is you main nectar flow? Are you planning around that?

Last edited:

Are you hoping to recombine at some point Grizzly? When is you main nectar flow? Are you planning around that?

The nectar flow is on now for me:)
Lots of horse chestnut trees in full flower.
I am going to do a split next week.
If I can find the Queen.
She's lost her mark and I am never good at finding Queens anyway.
Even with a mark.:svengo:

The nectar flow is on now for me:)
Lots of horse chestnut trees in full flower.
I am going to do a split next week.
If I can find the Queen.
She's lost her mark and I am never good at finding Queens anyway.
Even with a mark.:svengo:

Why you want to split? It will destroy your honey yield?

>> Why you want to split? It will destroy your honey yield?

Not necessarily so ... Colonies that swarm early in the season can produce as much honey as colonies that don't swarm.... It all depends on how you manage them.

Are you hoping to recombine at some point Grizzly? When is you main nectar flow? Are you planning around that?

Hi Polyanwood
I dont think i will reunite, one of my goals this year was to increase, and learn how to do this properly, i just did not expect it to happen in less than 10 days.

I am now hoping i can stay on top of their swarming impulse, keep them in check so they keep their strong numbers as we go through May, past the gap into July.

A couple of hives are currently raising their own queens, they are from my only "Aampshire Girl" i was gutted when she tried to swarm, the bees returned but as she was clipped she probably ended up in the long grass, she was probably the best for temperament etc, so i hope they hatch out.

>> Why you want to split? It will destroy your honey yield?

Not necessarily so ... Colonies that swarm early in the season can produce as much honey as colonies that don't swarm.... It all depends on how you manage them.

You are totally wrong.

1) Good yield comes from good pastures

2) Good foraging powers comes from good big hives.
You can do foraging power better if you take the queen away
and make brood brake in main yield.

You may add foraging power when you join two hives and keep a bad layer in the hive during main yield.

3) To find best yield is to move hives to good pastures

Swarming is not a good yield strategy.

Last edited:
Back