Wasps!!!!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco666

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,
Any ideas on how to make a good wasp trap and the right syrup?
Thank you!
Marco.

Hi everyone,
Thank you!
Marco.

Oh dear, here we go again with another round of bickering about wasps. Try the search function of the forum and read up on the waspbane site about wasp behaviour.
Alternatively look in a poundland or similar store for a card of the yellow cones that fit into the side of empty pet bottles. Most sweet liquids will work to some extent just don't use honey or you will catch bees.

It's a bit of a pity that HM took a dislike to his thread on SHB being polluted with a discussion and advice (NOT BICKERING) on wasp traps and decided to delete all the posts ... would have saved someone a lot of typing ... but it's not going to be me this time so - sorry - you'll have to take Gilderdyke's advice above and scrounge around the site - if you search for the member KAROL and then look at his recent posts you will find some excellent information.

I'll help you - you can start here:

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/search.php?searchid=3356264

Hi everyone,
Thank you!
Marco.

A warm insulated hive containing a viable colony with a insulated long narrow entrance 25mm diameter and 150mm long. A wasp that doesn't come out in a few seconds is dead.
This wasp trap is known to produce its own luring syrup

This has been my worst year ever for wasps. Fortunately my hives were strong enough to deal with the problem invaders and this is the crux of the issue. Weak hives will likely succumb - uniting and/or minimising entrance helps a lot.
The easiest and cheapest method of trapping suggested athttp://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=506805#post506805 above is very practical and cheap, if not virtually free. I prefer a mixture of raspberry jam and water (wasps just love raspberries whereas bees aren't interested in it) in the lower part and then staple the inverted top section to the bottom part and place it in old "kilner" type jars to stop them being blown over when in situ. I have never found putting them quite near to the hives a problem, despite all the no-no warnings by other posters on this forum. In fact some were under the OMF to stop dilution by rain. This was so effective that I had to redo the traps after a max of 2 days in the beginning and got thousands of the blighters. Third time and the numbers dropped enough to enable removal.
KISS principle here imho.

Thank you.

Thank you everyone for the precious advises.

Latest posts

Back