Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Marco666 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hi,
Does anyone have a good suggestion in order to trap some wasps.
Thank you very much.
Marco.

Ely 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Are they only available online? I could do with one but will be moving away on Friday and it may not be delivered in time.

Millet 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
Are they only available online? I could do with one but will be moving away on Friday and it may not be delivered in time.
I ordered one nearly a fortnight ago on ebay and it has still not arrived.. and to make matter's worse my hive is getting hammered i have made 4 trap's of my own and killed thousand's but they still keep coming.. 30 at a time and more some day's.. not many are gaining access during the busy day's but when the temperature drop's so does the bee activity and that is when i have witnessed them gaining access.. i have even made a new entrance block as suggested so the wasp's have to get through a tunnel.. they do get a battering during the busy time but as mentioned they still get in when the bee's are quiet..
Here is my entrance block modification if you want to give it a go.. thank's to Karol it has made it hard for the main swarm's to get in..

And here it is pushed into the hive it give the wasp's around a 4in tunnel to fight there way through.. most maybe all are quickly turfed back out quick during busy time..

This is a spare hive by the way hence no bee's.. i needed a empty one to practice on.. lol

BrianO 

Drone Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 Plus
That's still a big space to defend, I would halve it given time of year, bees will manage and will be able to defend easier. I restricted mine right down

Ely 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
It is a nightmare. Started the season with four hives and this is my last remaining hive and the frames are riddled with wasps.

Millet 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
Consider it done Brian and Thankyou .. i hope i don't seem to be Hijacking the thread by the way but i found it a useful tip regarding wasp's..

Fritillary 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Number of Hives
3 TBH + 3 Nat (+ Nucs)
Rang them yesterday, paid for next day delivery, arrived this afternoon. (Not ebay)

Latest posts