Wasps Underground

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Ive been reading a few old threads on wasps, there is mention of the usual nest above ground, but what about those underfoot.

I have a nest about 6" from one of my nucs, only noticed it today, had not see anything a week or so ago, its just a hole in the ground with wasps coming and going.

Old threads mention of pouring boiling water into it, and some mention petrol. I have a powder, and also a foam spray, are these effective ? i know they usually have only 1 entrance and exit, but what of a nest underground ?

Have any of you effectively dealt with one like this ? if so what method works ?

This may not be as simple as it seems as there are a lot of rabbit burrows in this apiary, what the wasps are using could possibly be connected, or it may be a small rodent home.

We used to use cymag. Very effective. Probably prohibited now!

A wide cover over the hole (dustbin lid?, secure with no chance of entry/exit is one way to deal with them. A carry-into-the-nest wasp and insect powder will do nicely; small amounts in hole on a regular basis. It's not like a honey bee colony where contaminated honey may be robbed out later. The colony should still be quite small so easy to deal with at this time of the year.

I would not recommend petrol or propane treatment. Would very likely work but could be an explosion hazard!

Our pest contollers will be along shortly with the latest, safest methods.

Regards, RAB

I saw one of these last year on our new asociation site. At first I thought they were bees as the number of wasps leaving and returning was amazing. They were treated to some petrol and were no more.

Last edited:
Jeez i do loads of underground wasps nests! Normally disused mouse or vole burrow.

Nippon them, few blasts of powder down the hole, and walk away!

Thanks guys, will try a couple of techniques, must find out how many exits they have, move the nuc, then hope it's just a dinky nest.

Have you thought to contact a local pestie??? after all we expect them to pass on swarms of bees to us rather than destroy them, should cost no more than £40 and should be under a guarentee to get the job done!

You would need to make sure the pestie knew there were bees present so they would advise what do to after treatment. Andy yest Cymag has been removed from the market.

Sorted them out, 5L of BP's finest did the job.
As mentioned this was a very small nest thankfully, but if it were a full mature colony and somewhere awkward I would contact an expert, just to make sure the job was quick and done effectively.

Thats what we call a petrol spectacular... lol

Did you know that soapy water is pretty effective at killing wasps and particularly effective with honey bees?

Sorted them out, 5L of BP's finest did the job.
As mentioned this was a very small nest thankfully, but if it were a full mature colony and somewhere awkward I would contact an expert, just to make sure the job was quick and done effectively.

A gallon of petrol, must be like the Gulf spill, wouldn't use a smoker around your nuc for a little while

two quickies for under ground wasp nests are ,

put a large glass, clear pastic bowl over the top of the nest, because the enterance is not blocked they will still try to fly in and out but will soon starve to death,

second is the broom handle funnel technique, hammer handle into ground in the nest and then when you pull it out insert a funnel and pour a load of washing up water down the hole.

I shall use the soapy water if i come accross any more, much better idea than the petrol.

Also an inverted coke bottle works well to keep them where they are.

More info please! soap treatment of underground wasps

Just found a nest about a foot from my hive, the entrance is about size of 10p piece.:mad:

I would rather not use petrol due to loction of hive so looking at soapy water method.

Is is as simple a making up a bucket of soapy water (washing up liquid) and pouring down entrance until full? Or do I need to consider anything else?:confused:

Back