Wasps trap.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco666

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,
Any ideas on how to make a good wasp trap and the right syrup?
Thank you!
Marco.

Take a plastic bottle. Cut the top third off, invert it into the bottom of the bottle, with the screw cap off!! Tape into place. Put some cider in the bottom and bobs your uncle!

Take a plastic bottle. Cut the top third off, invert it into the bottom of the bottle, with the screw cap off!! Tape into place. Put some cider in the bottom and bobs your uncle!

:iagree: great bit of kit for attracting loads and loads of wasps to your apiary - you're better off not bothering with anything.

This has been my worst year ever for wasps. Fortunately my hives were strong enough to deal with the problem invaders and this is the crux of the issue. Weak hives will likely succumb - uniting and/or minimising entrance helps a lot.
The method of trapping suggested above is very practical and cheap, if not virtually free. I prefer a mixture of raspberry jam and water (wasps just love raspberries whereas bees aren't interested in it) in the lower part and then staple the inverted top section to the bottom part and place it in old "kilner" type jars to stop them being blown over when in situ. I have never found putting them quite near to the hives a problem, despite all the no-no warnings by other posters on this forum. In fact some were under the OMF to stop dilution by rain. This was so effective that I had to redo the traps after a max of 2 days in the beginning and got thousands of the blighters. Third time and the numbers dropped enough to enable removal.
KISS principle here imho.

no point posing the same question on both areas of the forum - the only difference is that here you may get even stupider answes as some think they are safe here from being contradicted :D

:iagree: great bit of kit for attracting loads and loads of wasps to your apiary - you're better off not bothering with anything.

If they are already attacking your bees you need to get the numbers down and this works. It is better than having a hive wiped out! Silly comment JBM didn't offer any solution!
E

Track down the nests and destroy them , kill queen wasps hibernating in roof recess. trap them. I am afraid my view now is any creature that spends all winter and has to start rearing a colony from scratch in spring deserves a chance. I therefore now do not kill queen wasps that I find. I used to but must be getting soft in my old age,

Track down the nests and destroy them , kill queen wasps hibernating in roof recess. trap them. I am afraid my view now is any creature that spends all winter and has to start rearing a colony from scratch in spring deserves a chance. I therefore now do not kill queen wasps that I find. I used to but must be getting soft in my old age,

Live and let live, I still have a very busy colony in an old log in the garden.

I class queen wasps as queen bumble bees, both have one hell of a job to survive, honeybees are our speciality but instead of destroying wasps should we not just tolerate them. mind wasps are still bar stools

It's part of the cycle, those little things that happen that enrich our lives. Each event sparks the emotions, whether it be anticipation, joy or even a little sadness. The first Crocus, those early, huge queen Bumbles, the first Swallow, the smell of the Mayflower, those misty, Autumn mornings with all the Spiders webs and the queen Wasps and Bumbles looking for a cosy, undisturbed place where they can wait until the next year, when it starts all over again.
Louis Armstrong certainly got it right.
A nice glass of red also helps to chill one out :)

It's part of the cycle, those little things that happen that enrich our lives. Each event sparks the emotions, whether it be anticipation, joy or even a little sadness. The first Crocus, those early, huge queen Bumbles, the first Swallow, the smell of the Mayflower, those misty, Autumn mornings with all the Spiders webs and the queen Wasps and Bumbles looking for a cosy, undisturbed place where they can wait until the next year, when it starts all over again.
Louis Armstrong certainly got it right.
A nice glass of red also helps to chill one out :)

or a few bottles of rose :icon_204-2:

I've found a few butterflies tucked away for the winter in the house already at the same time as the Asters are alive with those newly emerged.

Came back from walking the dogs this morning and had a look around the garden for any wind damage. The wasps in that log are still busy.

Came back from walking the dogs this morning and had a look around the garden for any wind damage. The wasps in that log are still busy.

It's been a very weird year .. I was looking at the remnants of the ivy in my garden this morning and a few apples left on the trees ... must have been twenty or thirty wasps between the two. I can't remember seeing this many wasps about this late in the year ever ...

I haven't had a problem with the wasps attacking the hives and the Waspbane in the apiary has only caught about a dozen or so in total. There must be wasps nests somewhere in the vicinity but, as they are not bothering me or the bees I, like you, take the view that they are a valuable addition to the variety of nature we have around us and let them get on with what they do.

I have seen them feeding on any dead bees in front of the hives and occasionally I've encountered one feeding on the debris on the inspection boards so I know they are around...

Latest posts

Back