Wasps still around

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
anyone else got wasps around? lots around here still.

drones all gone now mind, RIP :)

Jez

A few, but they dont make it to another day if they get too brave...:smash::party:

Jez, my wasps seem to have disappeared - maybe helped on their way to Vespa Valhalla by the mild frost we had here in S London on Monday night.

Richard

On Sunday there appeared to be plenty still left at Bromsgrove and Chaddesley Corbett, with a very few at home too.

Thats because it is easier to chase them across a field than over peoples roofs Pete.

Still have lot's of wasps, and a few drones hanging about

Your allotment neighbours are hiding the nests in the coriander Pete, and flogging them to all the local restaurants and grocers - probably as coriander chocolate coated wasps.

Do you remember the chocolate coated ants of the sixties or seventies. Who had that idea, did they make any money at it and does anyone know someone that partook or the experience?

It seemed to catch the imagination for a couple of years and then faded away, without trace.

A few years back it was chocolate coated coffee beans. Very abrasive on the teeth.

it got so bad i actualy tried catching a wasp or ten in a small fink tank scoop net and then tying a small piece of white wool onto them so the are easier to see flying, i pinned it down to twp plots one of which i kill the nest the second plot is wild and i tried every thing to find and kill the nest and there is another nest just off the plots in someones house roof proberly

We have had a couple of ground frosts this autumn but wasps and hornets (both varieties) are still around - not so many though - we need a good air frost to sort out the Asian hornet nests as they are 20+metres up in trees and still invisible because of the leaves:banghead:

MJ

re: Asian Hornets....you seem very sanguine that they're there.....isn't any attempt being made to stop them establishing a 'foothold' or is it now too late?

Richard

Richard,
Too late I'm afraid, they arrived in France (port of Bordeaux) in a load of pottery from China in 2005 and have spread in all directions and are now as far north as Paris!!

There are reports of whole colonies being wiped out but so far (2 seasons) they have been hunting alone and though killing quite a few bees have not (yet) attacked mob handed.

Incidentally the speed of spread is thought to have been helped by hitch hiking on road/rail transport. Anyone care to bet that the first sighting in the UK will be in Kent - Eurostar/Dover ferries?

MJ,
Thanks......I hadn't realised it was five years ago, I've only heard about in the last year or so.

Best guess is that Varroa came across in a swarm on a ship docking at Plymouth..... so you're right as all the hornets' need is a pregnant queen tucked away on anything coming through the tunnel.

( and seeing as hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants have managed it, it shouldn't be that much of a problem for an insect!)

Hopefully our weather profile is still too cold as 'normal' hornets still aren't a real problem yet.
Richard

Not a lot about here in north lincs at mo been a lot about this year being a pest controller treated close to 1oo nests this year

TOBY-3652,

The thread is wasps, the last few posts about hornets. Are you a part-timer (only 100 wasp nests!) or are you meaning 100 hornet nests?

Regards, RAB

Only 2 hornet nests this year maybe a few more wasp nests than i said havent realy counted but some days been real busy some not so

Latest posts

Back