Wasps in shed. Where's the hole?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
Anybody got a better idea?
My bee shed which was previously bee/wasp proofed has clearly developed a hole and is currently full of wasps trying to find a way into some supers I haven't dealt with yet.

I spent ages looking for the hole but can't find it, it must be small because the wasps don't seem to find their way out easily.

Does anyone have any idea how to find it? Do you think if I filled the shed with smoke I would see the leak?

Ideas please.
Cazza

Are you looking on the inside or outside? Sounds like there are many fewer wasps on the outside.

To locate where they are disappearing into the fabric of the building from the outside. Just sit and watch and wait.....Or leave a camcorder to locate a possible entry point, or a webcam... and watch from your computer.

Failinfg that you need to positively rid the interior and then watch, but without spraying pesticide near your valuable honey it might be dificult.

Regards, RAB

Are you looking on the inside or outside? Sounds like there are many fewer wasps on the outside.

To locate where they are disappearing into the fabric of the building from the outside. Just sit and watch and wait.....Or leave a camcorder to locate a possible entry point, or a webcam... and watch from your computer.

Failinfg that you need to positively rid the interior and then watch, but without spraying pesticide near your valuable honey it might be dificult.

Regards, RAB

Hi Rab

I've tried both but there are so many on both sides I can't see the wood from the trees.
I can't see how I could empty the inside safely either.....

They seem to be buzzing along the roof/ side join on one side so maybe I'll just try filling expandable foam all along the join?
Thanks for trying.
C

How about this unsavoury suggestion? Start watching very early in the morning?

Regards, RAB

Hi if it was a water tank you would fill it with water, try the same thing put a powerfull light inside and walk round it in dark you will find it leaks like a water tank. Terry

OK, next instalment.

Are they actually finding their way out?

If so, cover the wasps inside the shed with flour, icing sugar, or similar and just watch for white wasps exiting?

Or use a flourescent 'tell-tale' and hunt for the signs of the exit route, with a UV lamp in the dark?

Regards, RAB

OK, next instalment.

Are they actually finding their way out?

If so, cover the wasps inside the shed with flour, icing sugar, or similar and just watch for white wasps exiting?

Regards, RAB

RAB
You are a genius, i think that would work really well. I'm not sure if they can find their way out again but it's worth a go. I will try later today if I get home early enough from work.
C

Icing sugar worked like a dream. The hole is found and will be easily plugged with expandable foam.
Thanks Rab.
Cazza

Make up a nuke box, put in a coulp[e of frames that have been emptied, gice them easy access, when you have a load inside, plug the hole in the nuke, take it away some where, then fill the box with ""Raid" wasp killer.

Repeat as required.

Make up a nuke box, put in a coulp[e of frames that have been emptied, gice them easy access, when you have a load inside, plug the hole in the nuke, take it away some where, then fill the box with ""Raid" wasp killer.

Repeat as required.

Not sure I'd want wasp killer in a nuc box! Maybe a cardboard box sealed but will small hole.

Fill the box with propane gas or something volatile like propanone - no naked lights.

Ventilation is all that is needed to remove the gas before the next batch. No pesticide residues need be involved at all.

Regards, RAB

Cazza,

If there are any holes 'not quite big enough' for the wasps to get through they will chew their way in. So9 do not be surprised if they find another way in now they have the taste or smell of the honey!

Glad you found the hole. The solution was simple really. I should have had a brain-storming session on a piece of paper. The answer would have appeared directly or indirectly.

The trouble with light at night is if the hole was zig-zagged through the fabric/construction and one needs to detect the light - not easy unless you are in a direct line or there is a screen. After developing photographic film in a daylight tank, that is easy to comprehend. Fluorescing chemicals are often used for pipe leaks to avoid having to make extensive excavations.

Regards, RAB

Petrol is just as good, volatile ,certain death and evaporates on ventilating

John Wilkinson !

Cazza,

I should have had a brain-storming session on a piece of paper. The answer would have appeared directly or indirectly.

Regards, RAB

Then you would all have been denied the chance to brain storm on the forum, taking the fun out of it.
C

Are you sure they are going in? You may have a nest hatching. Wheat type of wasps are they?

Are you sure they are going in? You may have a nest hatching. Wheat type of wasps are they?
Hi sawdstmakr,

They're definately going in. There's nowhere in the shed they could be hatching from.

They're bogstandard British honey robbing wasps!

Cazza

Latest posts

Back